PDA

View Full Version : Detailing newbie here(to an extent)......

AdulteratedJedi
10-04-2004, 12:04 PM
I own a 03 GMC Sierra z71. The color is a light silver metallic. I do have a lot of cleaning supplies. I have the entire collection of the Zaino line. First I will start off with the waxes.

1. All Zaino

2. NXT Tech Wax

3. Zymol Cleaner Wax

4. Megs deep crystal polish and carnuba wax

5. Black Magic Liquid Wax

Wash Shampoos:

1. Megs gold class shampoo and conditioner

2. Zaino wash

3. Bug and Tar Remover

Trim:

1. Black Magic Tire Wet get gel

2. NXT protectant

3. Megs protectant

4. Black Magic Tire Wet Foam

QD`s:

1. Megs CA gold

2. Zaino QD

I also have a cheap oribat buffer too.

I just ordered another bundle of stuff off of autopia.com here is the list:

Sonüs Gloss Shampoo

1Z Insect & Tar

Pre-Cleaner

Menzerna Intensive Polish

Pinnacle Souverän

Carnauba Wax

Autoglym Instant Tyre

Dressing

303 Aerospace Protectant,

16 oz

Autoglym Vinyl & Rubber

Care

303 Carpet & Upholstery

Cleaner

Autoglym Car Interior

Shampoo

Plexus Plastic Polish, 13

oz.

303 Aerospace Cleaner

Industrial Concentrate

Khaki Microfiber Buffing

Towel, Pkg/

Blue Perl Microfiber

Applicator

Terry Applicator Pads,

Pkg/3

Meguiars #2 Fine-Cut

Cleaner

How would all of yall autopians combo these products? I mainly have questions about the waxing. What to use first? 2nd? Layering? Also, what am I missing in my deatiling collection?

svanderbilt
10-04-2004, 04:28 PM
You`re more than sorted with the chemicals, but I think you need more towels, if all you have are 5. Never good to use a towel for too long.

Let us know the condition the truck is in and what sort of life it has (covered at work, covered at home, dusty jobsite, etc).

imported_BretFraz
10-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Off the top it looks like you are light on polishes. I`d expand that selection first. Invest in a couple good moderate polishes like Meguiars DACP or 1Z Paint Polish. Both will give you more "kick" than what you have. And BTW, please don`t use that #2 on the truck. It`s made more for old school single stage paint and for rotary polisher use.

You have more than enough last step products and cleaner waxes. Each has their own role but I don`t see a reason to buy even more unless you`re collecting them or something.

The key to a perfect finish is process not product. You need enough of the right product to make the process happen, but there`s no need to go nuts with products unless you want to. Learn to evaluate your finish and determine the process to improve your paint, then worry about what product to use. Find the Autopia Guide to Detailing if you don`t have it, download and read it, and work on your regimen and you`ll be thrilled with the results.