PDA

View Full Version : BMW Paint

ANB
10-04-2004, 09:44 AM
How is BMW paint compared to other make`s paint?

Are minor swirls hard to get out with the pc?

What swirl removers work best with the paint? At what speed with the pc?

I`ve used AIO and SG and they look great on both of our cars. I have ssr2, would that get out the light swirls? I used that on my old accord and I swear it made them worse. Would it need to be followed by anything before the AIO?

I`m trying to avoid having to buy anything extra, but will if needed!

Fortunately, I haven`t had to use any smr yet, but I will shortly.

Thanks in advance!:wavey

blackrex
10-04-2004, 04:58 PM
BMW`s generally clean up very well. Fine compound, 3M fine cut, followed by a good polish tends to get all the swirls out. I`m not overly impressed with SMR by 3M but YMMV.

DantePasquale
10-04-2004, 06:10 PM
I tend to think BMW paint is a little `harder` than others (like Honda). I have had success with IP and FP, but it does take these products longer (PC on 5 to 5.5, rather than 3 to 4, went over same spot 3 times rather than once or twice) to produce the results I expected.

Mantic6t9
10-04-2004, 06:32 PM
All i need for my BMW is 1ZPP and Menzerna FP. From what i remember reading about german paints is that the clear is a little softer then say a typical american paint.

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by ANB

I have ssr2, would that get out the light swirls? I used that on my old accord and I swear it made them worse. Would it need to be followed by anything...?

If there are no cleanliness/technique issues, you probably needed to follow the SSR2 with something finer, SSR1 if you were going to stay with Poorboy`s, or another fine swirl remover.