PDA

View Full Version : Finished "removing" swirls by hand with #9

Pages : [1] 2

White95Max
10-03-2004, 09:57 PM
WOW. #9 is a pain in the butt to use by hand. I applied it with a dry foam pad, and rubbed with moderate pressure. I went over every inch of the area at least 20 times. Then I buffed it off with a MF. Each time it seemed to reduce the swirls a bit, but they were still there. So I ended up doing the above process 4 times on the area (trunklid/spoiler) and now the swirls have reduced to just a few very light scratches here and there, but my arms couldn`t take anymore. I applied GEPC which seemed to reduce the scratches a bit more, and now EX-P is drying on the car.

Is #9 a real pain to use by hand for everyone? Should I have done anything different?

This was my first real experience with swirls. (They`ve been on my car since I got it 2.5 yrs ago, but it`s white so they were barely noticeable).

I am now seriously considering a PC.

Am I safe to assume that #9 (and all polishes I`d guess) are much easier, faster, and more productive when applying by PC?

vdog0531
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
a PC would be a great investment. PC is much better than by hand. Removing swirls is much easier with a PC.

Vernon

PS... any pics??

Eliot Ness
10-03-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

..........Am I safe to assume that #9 (and all polishes I`d guess) are much easier, faster, and more productive when applying by PC?

Yes, yes, and yes. Plus #9 has fillers, so a lot of what you are seeing may not be removal of the swirls, rather than filling them.

If you clean the area you`ve been working on with a pre-paint cleaner or just a 50/50 mix of isopropyl alcohol and distilled water it will remove the fillers and you’ll see if you have made any real progress in removing the swirls. If that shows that all you’ve done is fill the swirls I’d recommend the following products:

Megs #83 followed by Megs#80 (if needed). Try #80 first before stepping up to #83.

Another excellent product line to try is 3M. Try 3M PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by 3M PI III MG (machine glaze). Once again give it a go with MG first.

Do either of the above product lines with a PC and you will save yourself a LOT of time and arm fatigue!

White95Max
10-03-2004, 11:05 PM
I`ve heard a lot about the Menzerna polishes (Intensive and Final) so I thought I would invest in a PC 7424 and both of the above polishes. I`m about ready to give up on removing swirls by hand.

Jesstzn
10-03-2004, 11:10 PM

I`ve heard a lot about the Menzerna polishes (Intensive and Final) so I thought I would invest in a PC 7424 and both of the above polishes. I`m about ready to give up on removing swirls by hand.

I have used the Menzerna twins and they are great but not as near user friendly as the #80 / #83 that Elliot Ness mentioned.

White95Max
10-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Do they work just as well as the Menzerna polishes?

Jesstzn
10-03-2004, 11:21 PM

Do they work just as well as the Menzerna polishes?

#83 works as good as the IP but has diminishing abrasives .. the FP is more of a burnish and will not lift much more than the finest of marring , the #80 will do more and come very close.

White95Max
10-03-2004, 11:40 PM
I found the PC 7424 @ ProperAutoCare.com for $129.99. Is that as cheap as I`ll find it?

What kind and how many pads will I need?

Jesstzn
10-04-2004, 08:44 AM

I found the PC 7424 @ ProperAutoCare.com for $129.99. Is that as cheap as I`ll find it?

What kind and how many pads will I need?

Look at www.coastaltool.com .. thiers comes with the backing plate and counter wieght for $119.

I think a min of 2 white and one yellow LC pads if your only doing your car and its not in bad shape.

Eliot Ness
10-04-2004, 09:03 AM
Here`s a thread on a pretty good deal at Lowes on a PC (if you have one near you): Link to PC at Lowes. (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44665)

And here`s another thread on a group buy of the PC for $99 here on Autopia. Not sure if they`re still taking names or not though:

Link to Group Purchase of PC. (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44068)

Then you can pick up an LC or Sonus pad kit (they carry them here on Autopia). Like Jesstzn mentions I would pick up an extra polish pad or two to go with the set. If you use the code SONUS here at Autopia you`ll get a 15% discount on Sonus pads (not sure if that`s good for the whole kit or not).

Jesstzn
10-04-2004, 09:10 AM
Just make sure the deal your getting is the deal .. some 7424 (Porter Cable 7424 DA Polishers with the factory white foam pad for only $99.95. ) don`t include the velcro backing plate or the counter wieght which you will have to buy seperatly.

White95Max
10-04-2004, 07:23 PM
I looked at CoastalTool.com and I`m thinking of ordering the 7424 this week. I`d also look into the Sonus pads here on Autopia, but I can`t find the link to the Autopia store since the site was updated.

Eliot Ness
10-04-2004, 07:26 PM

I looked at CoastalTool.com and I`m thinking of ordering the 7424 this week. I`d also look into the Sonus pads here on Autopia, but I can`t find the link to the Autopia store since the site was updated.

Here you go: Link to Autopia Store. (http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/index.html)

The code SONUS gets you a 15% discount on Sonus pads, but I`m not sure if it applies to the pad kit since it`s already discounted, but it`s worth a try.

White95Max
10-04-2004, 08:33 PM
I was thinking of just ordering a couple extra pads from CoastalTool.com since I`d order the PC from there anyway. It says you get a bonus 6" contour pad free.

What is the contour pad?

Also, you get the 6" polishing pad with it. Would this pad be adequate for removing light swirls with #9 Swirl Remover?

I want to have 2 pads for removing light swirls, and 3 pads for waxing/sealing. Which pads do I need for these purposes?

Eliot Ness
10-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Not sure about the pad or size of the backing plate (5" or 6") that comes with that PC. If you order the LC or Sonus pad kit it will come with the correct 5" backing plate. You can then get the extra pads you may need.

For polishing use one of these pads:

Megs: Yellow pad (#W8006)

LC: White pad

Sonus: Green (polishes) or Blue (cleaners like AIO)

For waxes/sealers:

Megs: Tan pad (#W9006)

LC: Grey pad

Sonus: Grey pad