PDA

View Full Version : Ever used a orbital sander with polishing pad?

White95Max
10-03-2004, 09:45 PM
I was talking to my dad about getting an PC, and he said that he has an orbital sander in the garage, and that I could probably just buy a new pad, put that pad on the orbital sander, and use that on the car.

Would this work the same as a PC?

I told him that you should always use the right tool for the right job, but he is confident that the orbital sander would do the same thing as a PC.

What`s the deal? Is he right? He said I could try it out on his van first to see how it worked.

svanderbilt
10-03-2004, 10:03 PM
A Porter Cable is an orbital sander. The 7424 comes with a sanding disc. What type does he hae in the garage? Brand/model number might be helpful.

EdLancer
10-03-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

I was talking to my dad about getting an PC, and he said that he has an orbital sander in the garage, and that I could probably just buy a new pad, put that pad on the orbital sander, and use that on the car.

Would this work the same as a PC?

I told him that you should always use the right tool for the right job, but he is confident that the orbital sander would do the same thing as a PC.

What`s the deal? Is he right? He said I could try it out on his van first to see how it worked.

Most run of the mill orbital sanders will not have enough torque(3amp motor and over) to remove defects like the PC and will bog down, also remember that most orbital sanders do not have varible speed and tend to spin at high rpms(over 6000 rpms) as most polishing is done within the 4000-6000rpm range or the polish will dry up too fast and build up on the pads.

Mazz
10-03-2004, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by EdLancer

Most run of the mill orbital sanders will not have enough torque(3amp motor and over) to remove defects like the PC and will bog down, also remember that most orbital sanders do not have varible speed and tend to spin at high rpms(over 6000 rpms) as most polishing is done within the 4000-6000rpm range or the polish will dry up too fast and build up on the pads.

but they are still all orbital sanders... Lets try to not confuse this guy too much..he very well could have a good porter cable or dewalt orbital in the garage.

White95Max
10-03-2004, 11:17 PM
I`ll have to find out in the morning what kind of sander it is.

Are pads designed to fit any orbital, or are there specific pads for different brands?

6cyl's_of_fury
10-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Well with the lack of availability ( at a reasonable price ) of a PC in Australia, I use an orbital sander with variable speeds to great effect. It only bogs down if I really bear down on it, but in 99.987989% of cases, I dont have any need to, so its not an issue.

My weapon of choice? Hitachi FSV 13Y Random Orbital Sander.

As for pads, it has a 5" velcro backing plate so it uses the same pads as the PC which is convienient, and I believe that most orbital sanders have a 5" backing plate ( well nearly everyone I saw anyways ).

percynjpn
10-04-2004, 11:18 AM
They are one and the same; some may be better than others in certain ways, but a "PC" is one type of orbital (or "dual action") sander. Listen to Dad: if standard size pads fit the sander`s plate, you DON`T need to buy a "PC".

White95Max
10-04-2004, 02:38 PM
I found out that the orbital in the garage is a Craftsman that has a rectangular base (where the pad/sandpaper attaches) and either moves in an orbital fashion or straight line. It spins at a single speed of 4000RPM, and screams like a radial saw when operating. Plus the sandpaper is held within a plastic "case" so I would probably have frequent mishaps when that paper around the edges hits my car and puts more scratches in it. I don`t know that a circular pad would even fit on the rectangular base anyway.

I`ll just go with a PC. The right tool for the right job.

EdLancer
10-04-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by White95Max

I found out that the orbital in the garage is a Craftsman that has a rectangular base (where the pad/sandpaper attaches) and either moves in an orbital fashion or straight line. It spins at a single speed of 4000RPM, and screams like a radial saw when operating. Plus the sandpaper is held within a plastic "case" so I would probably have frequent mishaps when that paper around the edges hits my car and puts more scratches in it. I don`t know that a circular pad would even fit on the rectangular base anyway.

I`ll just go with a PC. The right tool for the right job.

Those old retangular orbital sanders won`t do, but if on the other hand and if it was a rotary orbital that would have been a differernt story.

Eliot Ness
10-04-2004, 04:31 PM
Well it was worth checking out White95Max. It would have been a bummer to shell out $100 plus to find out there was a dusty PC hiding in your garage.

Now just start looking for the best price from some of the suggested places posted earlier in your other thread.

John

jusjase44
10-07-2004, 06:32 PM
What do you all think about the dewalt DW423K sander?