PDA

View Full Version : Appling A-I-O with PC?

Pages : [1] 2

cheapshot
10-03-2004, 05:47 PM
i`m intrested in using some a-i-o on the vw that i`m working on, and only have applied it twice by hand on my own car.

what speed do i set the pc at?

what pad?

arm speed?

amount of product? any tips? for appling or removing would be great?

also do i have to worry about rubber plastic, ect., or should i tape again? the vw has lots of it!

ZaneO
10-03-2004, 06:03 PM
I use AIO with a white polishing pad on 5 or so. Doesn`t take too much. Shouldn`t effect trim, etc.

MongooseGA
10-03-2004, 06:03 PM
AIO and SG dont stain plastic trim. If anything, they might even darken the trim a bit!

On my PC i use an orange [Sonus] pad on 5-6. I`m sure a white polishing pad on 5-6 will do just fine as well. Don`t try to work it in too long to get out the swirls though. AIO is not good for swirls, but beats the fekle matter outta oxidation.

As far as amount of product, I follow the "X marks the spot" method normally. I slowly mark a large "X" across the pad. But, to keep from allowing the AIO to be absorbed into the pad in the same place, I also line the outside of the pad with a few 1-2" lines of prodcut, and a dab in the middle ever few passes.

Good luck.

disasnguy
10-03-2004, 06:17 PM
AIO works best with PC in my opinion. I put an X on a white pad and a spray of water/qd and you`re good for at least half the hood. There isn`t much to AIO for applying removing. It`s just too easy to mess up. Plus it doesn`t stain trim so just go crazy. >=)

BillNorth
10-03-2004, 06:28 PM
In general AIO is pretty idiot proof. I`ve used it via PC and polishing pad at many different speeds with consistent results time after time.

lpquick
10-03-2004, 06:42 PM
Don`t forget the side windows you`re headlights and taillights.

I also do the windshield, some don`t because of possible hazing but I`ve not had a problem.

imported_prgallo
10-03-2004, 08:07 PM
I started using the process described here:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40623&highlight=aio+tip

and found it to give outstanding results. It might do the same for you.

imported_cody
10-04-2004, 07:25 PM
I just finished doing my Starlight Silver MDX, with the procedure described by "disasnguy" and it looks great, especially after topping it off with P21S. This was my first attempt with a PC-----I`m now a believer!!!!!

jimmybuffit
10-04-2004, 08:15 PM
We apply AIO at least 12 times a week in our shop. I`m of the opinion that hand application is marginally better. AIO costs about $.80/ounce.

DA application uses more product, to be sure (trust me, the pad soaks up product!) It can be faster, but consider the time to prepare the machine, get the ext cord, proper pad, etc vs just grabbing the applicator,product, MF and start.

I have a young lady (working for me) who has trouble manipulating the machine (long story), but can Klasse a car by hand as fast as I can with the PC.

When she`s done, I still have to put my stuff away!

Probably not important to the weekend warriors, but we pay strong attention to time and material costs.

Jim

cheapshot
10-05-2004, 06:26 AM
jimmy buffit, i think your right, i was just looking at different options. both times i`ve used it was by hand, and easy on easy off.

vapore0n
10-05-2004, 07:26 AM
I also believe that klasse by hand is better (less product plus better shine). Ive tried both methods on a black paint and by hand had the best mirror shine.

Could have been my method of doing it by hand, which is like spit shining. (spray some qd and buff till the polished paint is left, no residue)

imported_prgallo
10-05-2004, 07:32 AM
This is some great information, but when I`ve tried different approaches as an enthusiast, with the machine already out for paint prep, throwing a finishing pad on and applying, let it dry, then buffing with a bonnett gave the best results on my cars (red and black). Hand application gave good results, this process gave outstanding results. Just a different approach I guess.

stevet
10-05-2004, 08:04 AM
I don`t like to use the PC to apply AIO. I find it dries up too fast and doesn`t spread well. I use much less product and I can apply it faster by hand.

beastie
10-05-2004, 08:10 AM
I get better results on a vehicle that is getting detailed the first time (meaning it needs a lot of work) by PC with a white pad. It is also less effort via PC. But when the vehicle is well maintained, AIO by hand is easier and faster. Also, if I want to put on 2 coats of AIO, the second coat is with the gray finishing pad. SG is always by hand.

truvette
10-05-2004, 10:07 AM
I have applied AIO by machine and the results were absolutely fantastic! I felt that applying it by machine really helped the polishing and cleaning action of the product. It did require a little more product than if I had applied it by hand, but I felt that the results were definately worth it.

Klasse AIO applied with PC (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=43934&highlight=Klasse+on+Black)