PDA

View Full Version : Some waxing questions

Wicho
10-03-2004, 05:42 PM
I just bought some Meguiars nxt generation tech wax at walmart. Next time I wash the car I plan to clay then apply the meguiars wax. What should I apply before and after the wax ? What should I top it off with ? Would waxing to much be bad for my paint ? The car is a gray color if that makes a difference, thanks guys !

texas328ci
10-03-2004, 05:58 PM
Hi Wicho. I have been using Megs NXT wax and have had very good results with it. Here are the steps I used on my bright red bimmer that worked very well:xyxthumbs . (Sorry for not using the correct acronyms...I haven`t located them since the site format changed.)

1. Wash with NXT Wash

2. Clay with Sonus Clay

3. Polish with Sonus PWC (by hand with MF applicator and Sonus Buffing towel to remove.)

4. Klasse AIO

5. Topped with NXT Wax.

My only concern is that the NXT was has cleansing attributes, and I don`t know if that would affect the results of the AIO. Perhaps someone could chime in on this.

Additionally, since NXT wax has cleansing properties, I think you may be wasting your time/money trying to layer it more than twice. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Wicho
10-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Can I purchase the products you mentioned locally or would I have to order online ? Thanks for the reply

mrzeee
10-03-2004, 07:26 PM
try these if you want to stay local

nxt wash

megs clay or clay magic

colorx

nxt

tried this out on my girls silver murano and was very happy

Wicho
10-03-2004, 07:37 PM
I already have clay, about 5 bars and a few small pieces. What exactly does the colorx and nxt do ? I already have a nice shampoo that I use from meguiars it`s the "gold class" car wash and shampoo conditioner, used it a few times and really gives the car a nice shine.

JasonD
10-03-2004, 09:01 PM
The products you already have will be fine. Colorx is a polish that will prep the surface by removing oxidation and minor swirls and scratches. NXT will protect the freshly polished surface. You can even get some NXT booster spray to apply after each wash, and that will prolong your wax.

Wicho
10-03-2004, 09:37 PM
So I...

Wash

clay

polish paint with colorx or similar product

wax with NXT

Shouldn`t I apply something over the wax to maxmize durability ?

qwik5o
10-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Is ColorX better than #7 or is it a totally dif. product?

lbls1
10-03-2004, 09:51 PM
If your paint is in really good shape, then I`d recommend that you (if this is the first waxing) wash with a ph balance wash, clay (its good but if there are minimal particles it can be skipped), buff clean the paint with a paint cleaner (Very very important), a polish (to clean and add shine), then the wax (the final and most important step).

After this big initiation, do not re-polish or re-clean, just wash in a dilligent routine and add wax, and use a good quick detail in between wax sessions. Maintain this routine for up to a year, or up to the end of a warm season, then re-clean and start over at the beginning of your next warm season (or if in like arizona, after 6-9 months of wax coatings). You will compromise the shine potential of a good carnauba if you try to top it with something else besides a quick detail for carnauba. Natural carnauba is meant as a final wax in order to achieve brilliance.

You may have better leeway in using synthetic finish polishes (equivalent to wax) if you want to top them with other products to enhance shine quality.

Good luck.

Wicho
10-03-2004, 10:13 PM
Can you name some paint cleaners and polishes ? I`ve never polished nor cleaned the paint, just washed, clayed and waxed. I am going to be using meguiars gold class shampoo, clay I ordered from autopia, meguiars nxt gen wax. Please fill in the blanks between the clay and wax. Thanks ! One more question, shoild I apply 2 coats of nxt gen wax ? Would waxing every other week hurt my paint ? thanks again

Wicho
10-04-2004, 02:14 PM
bump

svanderbilt
10-04-2004, 04:24 PM
NXT can`t be layered. Only pur carnaubas or sealants can (those without cleaning abilities).

If you want to layer wax, use P21s, S100, One Grand Blitz, Pinnacle, etc.

Klasse All-In-One is a good paint cleaner. We don`t know the year/condition of your car, so it`s hard to recommend polishes and cleaners sight unseen.

lbls1
10-04-2004, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Wicho

Can you name some paint cleaners and polishes ? I`ve never polished nor cleaned the paint, just washed, clayed and waxed. I am going to be using meguiars gold class shampoo, clay I ordered from autopia, meguiars nxt gen wax. Please fill in the blanks between the clay and wax. Thanks ! One more question, shoild I apply 2 coats of nxt gen wax ? Would waxing every other week hurt my paint ? thanks again

A very good paint cleaner could be found in Gliptone`s "pro-buff". It should be widely available in most auto parts stores. It does an excellent job of cleaning old wax and contaminants off of your paint. It is my favorite cleaner.

You could also use Meguiars step #1 (in fact, Meguiars has several types of cleaners, so you could investigate those as well. #1 is a very good general cleaner that is non abrasive, so unless your paint needs extended work, this should serve you well).

For a polish, you could also use Meguiars or Mothers #2. There are a handful of polishes as well, suited for carnauba. Check out the review section of this board for some of the popular brands.

I would say that you should begin (as a personal recommendation) with Mother`s California Gold Pure Carnauba Wax system, that has a three step process of a cleaner, polish and wax. Once you have had time to perfect your routine, then you could decide whether you are satisfied with mothers, or if you want to experiment with other brands of Carnauba waxes. Mothers is a very good retail product, so you should feel confident in using their system.

hirosh
10-05-2004, 02:53 AM
how`s the condition of your paint? does it have swirls?

i assume you are going to be doing this by hand. if so, and you want to buy products locally, ColorX could work for you. another product that is quite good at removing swirls by hand is Meg`s #80 Speed Glaze, although you really really have to work it hard to minimize the swirls.

after you polish the paint, you should top it with NXT, and doing two applications is good to do, with 12 hours between application if possible. if not, 1 hour is okay. i don`t think it is necessary to put wax over NXT, as it can be durable in my experience.

and waxing every other week won`t harm your paint as long as you are careful that you don`t marr your paint. i`d recommend you click on the `learn` button at the top and read the articles in the `paint care` section as it has quite a lot of information on how to car for your car in a good way. it even includes some product suggestions.

good luck and have fun! :)