PDA

View Full Version : help.... .I screw up the paint.

10-03-2004, 02:55 PM
please help, I am a new car owner.

I dont know that spray paint can screw up the body so bad.

is there anyway I can fix this? I attach a link to the photo I take

for the spots that screw up.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mbsky/my_photos

THANK YOU

TW85 HHI
10-03-2004, 03:38 PM
You tried repairing your car with spray paint?

10-03-2004, 03:44 PM
yea, there are little paint peeling off hole

Anthony O.
10-03-2004, 04:57 PM
I am no expert but first, don`t ever use spray paint to fix a "hole" in your car. The paint in a can and the paint on your car are two different animals.

The spray paint will dry flat and when your car is polished it will only thin and fade away.

What needs to be done now, if you realy want it fixed, is to take it to a qualified body shop and have them repair it properly.

Then throw away the spray paint:nono

Anthony

texas328ci
10-03-2004, 05:36 PM
I`m definitely no expert, but what about trying a nice polishing session focused on the area you sprayed:eek: ? Maybe someone else could chime in, but I would think the spraypaint probably adhered on top of the clearcoat. With a little elbow grease or a PC and a decent cutting polish, you might be able to undo what you did with the spraypaint, and then start from scratch with a proper "touch up" with a matching paint from a dealership.

Although, perhaps it would just be worth the money to take it to a body shop as Anthony recommended. I guess it all depends on your time and budget.

I can`t stress enough that I`m new to detailing, so someone please correct me if the aforementioned procedure would cause more harm than good.

Good Luck!!

10-03-2004, 07:02 PM
thanks for the advises.

is there any more way to fix this problem?

TW85 HHI
10-03-2004, 08:18 PM
Body shop is your best bet to prevent any further damage.

Keep the spray paint away from your car! LOL

travisdecpn
10-03-2004, 08:22 PM
If you didn`t do it too long ago try some clay first to get some of it off, then go at it with some intensive compound cleaners and a heavy cutting pad.

qwik5o
10-03-2004, 09:42 PM
WHAT WERE YOU THINKING!

EdLancer
10-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by hamg

please help, I am a new car owner.

I dont know that spray paint can screw up the body so bad.

is there anyway I can fix this? I attach a link to the photo I take

for the spots that screw up.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mbsky/my_photos

THANK YOU

I`am not clear to as what your problem really is ?, you mean there is paint peeling around a hole ? Anyways don`t worry, the paint from you spray can is laquer based and can be safely removed with laquer thinner(use carefully as little as possible !). The original paint on your car is arcrylic water based.