PDA

View Full Version : ClearKote VM and MW, first impression

Pages : [1] 2

JasonD
10-02-2004, 08:40 PM
I just received VM and MW today, and I must say that they are quite different than what I was expecting. First of all, the solvent smell is very strong from both items, more so than anything I have used so far.

VM, I`ve been hearing great things about, but I am amazed at how thin it is. Kind of makes you wonder what makes this stuff work, especially with such a strong solvent smell. I`m actually wondering if its going to be much different than AIO.

MW, on the other hand, doesn`t seem to have as strong of a solvent smell and is nice and creamy, but appears to have a very high oil content. The product comes in a clear bottle and doesn`t stick to the inside. You can shake it or turn it upside down and there will always be a clear section of the bottle because it just slides right off, very weird.....kind of cool, actually.

For you guys that use VM all the time, would you suggest using it in place of AIO or in addition to it?

Wasatch
10-02-2004, 09:00 PM
I like VM, but you do have to shake it up quite often. It`s very thin like you say, but the smell to me is not that solvent. It goes on real thin, so a little goes a long way. I applied by hand, it leaves a nice shine after removing. Did you get the Moose Wax or Carnauba Moose Wax? I have some CMW, but have not had a chance to use it yet. I`m sure you will like both products once you get to use them.

JasonD
10-02-2004, 09:02 PM
I got Moose Wax. Couldn`t really decide between MW and CMW, then I thought about it and figured I would probably go over MW with one of my paste waxes, so I opted for the MW for now. Is there any real difference other than the carnauba?

imported_DetailGirl
10-02-2004, 09:07 PM
If you use AIO and then VM or vice versa they will remove eachother. We use VM on our clients cars and AIO on our own. IMO AIO takes longer and VM coupled with FP or EX-P plus a carnuba topper drives clients insane. I apply VM with the PC because it goes a bit faster. Overall I like them both very much but lean to AIO for its cleaning capabilities.

Moose wax is horrible send it back.

Raven
10-02-2004, 09:12 PM
I use VM all the time, I just love it, it leaves a very wet and deep look on my balck car and does a good job of hiding minor swirls. I believe probably don`t need to use both VM and AIO, both will remove what ever is underneath them.

I`ve never tried the MW but believe someone else posted that it was a cleaner wax, if so, it will remove what ever is underneath it too. I`ve read a lot of great things about VM topped with either EX or CMW. Both combos will leave a very wet look.

Hope this helps a bit,

JasonD
10-02-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by DetailGirl

Moose wax is horrible send it back.

Wow, that`s the first time I ever heard that before. Why do you think its so bad?

imported_DetailGirl
10-02-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Wow, that`s the first time I ever heard that before. Why do you think its so bad? Use it and you will find out. I called Evert and asked for a refund. Do a search and you will see that a lot of people are dissapointed in it. Its more of a cleaner wax, it did nothing to make my paint pop, infact the surface looked unchaged.

JasonD
10-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Very interesting, have you tried CMW? Should I swap it for that?

Eliot Ness
10-02-2004, 09:28 PM
Jason,

I think you`ll like VM. The first time I used it I applied it with the pc and a finish pad and put it on everything except the tires (chrome, glass and paint). After I did the whole car I buffed it off with a MF, it goes on/off very nicely. I then threw on a coat of EX-P and the car looked very good, very reflective and wet. I`m not sure how it compares to AIO because I`ve not used any of the K series yet, plus this went on right after DACP.

John

imported_DetailGirl
10-02-2004, 09:36 PM

Very interesting, have you tried CMW? Should I swap it for that? I have not but in talking with ScottWax he said it is a lot better and I take his word over anyones. I hear from him and NYDetailer that CMW is excellent. I plan to get some when my Nattys runs out.

Scottwax
10-02-2004, 09:37 PM
I use Moose Wax as a cleaner wax and also to remove tar (no rewaxing needed!) for door jams and polishing chrome.

VM is one of my favorite glazes. Nice wet look, very slick and great on glass too. CMW is great over VM, since it adds more depth and wetness.

What you may want to do it use the regular Moose Wax as a stand alone one step, or for chrome, wheels, etc and order some CMW; or send it back and exchange it for CMW.

cheapshot
10-02-2004, 09:45 PM
all i can say is after becoming an autopian, i will give VM a try, heard so many good things about it! on the other hand i have to say, i have used a fair amount of products, and A-I-O is a TRUE PERFORMER!, it`s simple! and it WORKS! however i though sg looked great also, but a-i-o just rubbed me in all the right places. so still feel the need to try, something like a-i-o/upp, or a-i-o/nxt ect.

JasonD
10-02-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone, they helped a lot. I have quite a few carnauba toppers, so I`m going to hold off on the CMW, but I WILL use MW for door jams and wheels. That`s a great idea that I didn`t think about.

On another note, what`s the best way to apply VM? PC the whole car and then remove or do small sections at a time?

Scottwax
10-02-2004, 09:59 PM
PC a section at a time and remove, that way you only go around the car once. I use a polishing pad and crank it up to 6.

Eliot Ness
10-03-2004, 02:46 PM

.........On another note, what`s the best way to apply VM? PC the whole car and then remove or do small sections at a time?

I think it all comes down to personal preferences. I do the whole car, then buff it off, just because I think it’s easier to do it that way. But, if like Scott does, you find it easier to do a panel at a time that works also. That’s one of the beauties of VM, it so easy to work with.