PDA

View Full Version : Visual comparison between #16 and EX-P

Scottwax
10-01-2004, 11:16 PM
I recently redetailed the black SL500 that I used EX-P on when I first got it. I took a picture of the trunk lid that I felt best shows off the clear look you get, especially on black paint.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/8781997_sl500_trunk.jpg

After going over this same car with #80 and topping it with #16 (previous time was #9 by hand, Menzerna`s Euro version of FP and EX-P), I was struck by the similarly clear wet look of #16, although I think #16 is a touch wetter looking in person.

I tried to get the same angle and reflection as best I could based on a 5 month old memory. I got close, but probably not close enough for a true comparison.

So, what do you think? :nixweiss

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10991997_Mercedes_SL500_trunk-med.jpg

stilez
10-01-2004, 11:29 PM
2nd photo is either focused better on the reflected objects or it has better depth.

However, they both look clear and wet. Durability between the two?

In the 2nd pic your client has some dead-heading to do on the roses :lol (my mom owns a Creative Garden Design Business)

kfexplore
10-01-2004, 11:35 PM
first impression - second looks wetter and darker. Don`t know if that`s the pic.

Unfortunatley, it looks like GSRstilez is correct - the depth of field is greater in the second photo which may be misleading as for assessing the "depth".

I guess to get a fair comparison, manually setting the camera is a must. Never really thought about that before.

Thomas Dekany
10-01-2004, 11:44 PM
to me the second picture looks much clearer and sharper. Maybe if you took a picture with the same reflection?

Either way, both pictures look excellent.

Scottwax
10-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Part of the problem was my memory. I was much closer in the first pic so I think with the camera on autofocus, it zeroed in on a body line and I may not have had enough depth of field to capture the image with both the trunk lid and its reflections in sharp focus.

What did strike me is how similarly `clear` both look. The EX-P shot looks `harder` almost like a layer of glass on the paint. The #16 pic looks more 3-D. Again, with 5 months between shots and not exactly the same angle, it is hard to be certain.

I took the pic because as I walked past the car while picking up all my supplies, I glanced over at it and I was reminded of the trunk lid pic I took in April. Just kind of an impromptu thing and I wanted to see how they compared in a picture, not just my memory.

Maybe I will record how my camera was set and mark her driveway so I can position the car and myself in the same spots each time. Got to do something about the angle of the sun though.....

Thomas Dekany
10-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Could you maybe use two different waxes on the trunk? A 50/50 and not tell the client? :p :p :p

Just an idea.

Accumulator
10-02-2004, 10:42 AM
ScottWax-Even given the photographic variables (maybe try to use a standardized f-stop if you can) the pics *at least* show how comparable the two are, and that`s saying something.

If anything, I probably would`ve expected the differences in prep to give the edge to the *first* one. Getting it that nice with just #80/#16 is significant, IMO.