PDA

View Full Version : Noob needs advice on how to care for my car!

EKGTI
10-01-2004, 02:42 PM
I`ve been searching the forums and there is a ton in info here, but I need a little extra help.

Here`s my situation:

I have a black GTI and it unfortunately is parked on the street. As in parked in a spot where it`ll get sprkinkler water and the resulting water spots each and every morning. I usually wipe it down with some mist and an MFT...but doing it everyday could be a problem.

I have a car cover, but I worry about putting it on all the time when the car has some dust on it - don`t wanna scratch it. And at night when I get home, it`s a little damp and dark to really wipe it down.

So, what would you suggest as a general strategy (that won`t take every moment of my life) to keep the car looking new?

The water spots are pretty nasty, but I just want to keep the car looking like an oil slick. I can wash once a week, maybe twice, but with no garage, it`s tough to give the car all the love it deserves.

I`ve got the entire Zaino package...and the car was done with seveal layers before I bought it. I`ve also got a Porter Cable 7424, 3M polishes and all that stuff.

Do I need to clean the car constantly? Or can I let it build up for a week, then wash on the weekends?

Or because I have the PC, can I just relax a bit and just redo the car every few months?

Help!

Thanks...

Eric

sQuashed
10-01-2004, 03:02 PM
That all depends on YOUR standards. If I were you I would:

1. Not park by the sprinkler...Or...

2. Cap that sucker off for good:up

If you can wait a week with water spots on your car before you wash, then so be it. I dont think I could handle that as I have a Black car also. As long as the water spots dont become permanent etchings in the paint :nixweiss

I live in a Dusty area and Im constantly cleaning the Car ..Dirty Black cars just suck:down ..

You can only do what YOU think is right and it sounds like you are well equipped for any unfortunate situation..

Good luck,and welcome to Autopia

EKGTI
10-01-2004, 03:59 PM
So, will the PC be able to take any spots out if left for a while?

E

Lowejackson
10-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Yes but it is better to aviod the problem in the first place, if possible.