PDA

View Full Version : Does 3M Machine Glaze need a final polish?

T. Perinne
10-01-2004, 02:05 PM
I`d eventually like to polish with 3M Machine Glaze. I will be going with the Klasse Twins. Do you recommend a good final polish with a very light abrasive in it such as Sonus Paint Cleanser or P21S PCL after 3M Machine Glaze or is straight to AIO good enough?

Thanks!

Eliot Ness
10-01-2004, 02:21 PM
The 3M PI III MG with a polish pad will leave your paint in very nice condition, it`s very good stuff.... go right on to whatever your final LSP will be (AIO/SG, etc.).

FYI, 3M PI III MG is rated a 4 (about where Megs#80 is) on the unofficial Autopia aggressiveness scale.

T. Perinne
10-01-2004, 02:52 PM
Thank you! This will be for the first real polishing the new paint will get. After seeing some of the wet sand/buffed cars from the same shop, I noticed some fine swirls left from the wet sand and some micro marring that occured during the curing time due to the clear coat still being so soft. I was looking for a good polish to clean that up but that didn`t leave its own marks behind. I hope a level of 4 is ok on new paint!

Eliot Ness
10-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by T. Perinne

.......... I hope a level of 4 is ok on new paint!

Is this a new car, or is it a new paint job?

How old is the car/paint?

Are you using a PC or doing this by hand?

T. Perinne
10-01-2004, 03:07 PM
By hand... I know, not ideal but I`m at the end of my budget. Machine Glaze came up several times in my search as being ok to apply by hand. 1Z did as well but I don`t like any fillers before using AIO. PB`s SSR1 looked good too... Just like the reviews of the 3M MG :)

T. Perinne
10-01-2004, 03:13 PM
Yes, new paint - brand new... Car is a total buildup so you can assume the car is brand new as well. I`m using 3M IHG until the cure time is over, I`m trying to get my products purchased for my first full real detail... already have everything but my polish(s), and even there i`ve already got AIO in the Klasse Twins kit, I just want a perfect prep before putting down all those layers of Klasse for the first time.

Eliot Ness
10-01-2004, 03:16 PM
I`m sorry Tanguy, I didn`t understand that you`re working on new "body shop" paint. Just make sure it is past the time they told you to wait before doing anything to the paint.

Also, if you really think you need to use MG on it, do a lower body panel first to see how it comes out before you do a more obvious area. That way you`ll ensure that your methods/techniques and application will do what you`re looking for rather than induce more problems.

T. Perinne
10-01-2004, 03:25 PM
No problem... I`ve got Klasse Twins and Souveran paste standing by and I`m getting antsy :D No doubt I`ll play it safe and wait for the paint to be 100% cured. I`m just ineterested in getting the perfect surface before laying down AIO + SG x ???? The car will be only driven on the weekends and kept in the garage so paint prep the first time will be crucial since the Klasse should last a very long time.

imported_edschwab1
10-09-2004, 03:55 PM
3M PI-III MG is body shop safe. MG is used in many body shop on fresh paint and is designed to follow a rubbing compound. Therefore I do not see using MG on fresh paint being a problem. I would check with the paint shop to see how long the paint will take to cure, before using the K twins.

MG will leave the surface clear, squeaky and ready for K twins. One of my favorite combos is DACP>MG>AIO>SG.

Eric