Got one for you from the Maxima.org files. :D

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?p=3250978#post3250978

How would you attack this?

imported_BretFraz
10-01-2004, 09:05 AM
NuFinish :xyxthumbs

Eliot Ness
10-01-2004, 09:25 AM
:scared I`m guilty of driving around and seeing a lot of cars I`d like to get my hands on and restore the finish...... that is not one of them.

How would I attack that? With a DA sander and my HVLP paint gun.

joburnet
10-01-2004, 11:02 AM
Probably with a sledge hammer:cool:

You may be able to do something with it but my guess is that it`s screwed.

imported_FordTaurus
10-01-2004, 11:07 AM
In a couple pics it looks like someone decided to apply a product for the trim right onto the paint. There are two things I might do if someone presented me with a car like this and expected me to work miracles with it: I would either A. Run away screaming, or

2. Suggest that they get in touch with the body shop....I think the only way that that car will look decent again would be to remove what`s there now and not be so neglectful with the new paint.

How does a car get that bad? I think it would take some effort to get it looking like that.

-FordTaurus

acl99
10-01-2004, 11:49 AM
SSR 3 or diamond cut on a cutting pad on a rotary than go from there. Theres always hope! But than again if someone lets their car get to that stage would it really be worth restoring if they are just going to let it happen again?

boywonder
10-02-2004, 01:07 AM
Here`s my thought. I was thinking rotary and a medium to heavy cut cleaner or PI III Light cut rubbing compound.

dcswd
10-02-2004, 01:14 AM
I`ve tried waxing paint like that before.... very bad idea. The wax just doesnt come off. The paint is dead... destroyed.. gone... no more.... it needs new paint. The side pannels are probably good still... maybe rotary practice time?

scottabir
10-02-2004, 02:40 AM
I would probably try to use a chemical cleaner first to see if that made a difference in it. After that I would see how fast the pads gum up with a compound ( :Shudder: they are gonna gum up fast with dead paint.)

dengelson
10-02-2004, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by PrinzII

Here`s my thought. I was thinking rotary and a medium to heavy cut cleaner or PI III Light cut rubbing compound.

That`s how I`m leaning. Try the heavy cut first and see if there is anything beneath the surface that`s worth saving. I`ve only done one car that looked close to that bad and I started right off the bat with an aggressive pad and a medium cut cleaner.

When paint is that bad there`s no sense in tiptoeing up the aggressiveness scale.

boywonder
10-03-2004, 10:32 PM
That`s true.

boywonder
10-16-2004, 07:42 PM
I am chatting with the owner now. The person that wants to do it for him wants to use Einszett Ultra. My gut feeling is that may not be aggressive enough.

SpoiledMan
10-16-2004, 08:09 PM
I would start with AIO using a terry towel to work it. Do we know if it is SS paint or CC failure?

boywonder
10-16-2004, 08:14 PM
According to the owner, the clear isn`t failing. I am thinking a combbination of things including neglect.

SpoiledMan
10-16-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by PrinzII

According to the owner, the clear isn`t failing. I am thinking a combbination of things including neglect.

With a finish like that, do we take his word for it?:confused: