PDA

View Full Version : help scratches and washing?

00zero
09-30-2004, 08:54 PM
i have a 92 audi s4 and it needs a little tlc. it has some scratchs on the trunk (someone ran a finger through the dust) and some deeper scratches. what is the best thing to use to remove these?

i am a full time college student and i dont have any local facilities or time to was my car as often as i want. Is there anything wrong with the local spray and wash if i make sure to rinse the brush first, dry and apply a coat of quick detail?

what is a good clay bar to use?

what is good to clean leather in this car?

-jonathan

Eliot Ness
09-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by 00zero

.........i am a full time college student and i dont have any local facilities or time to was my car as often as i want. Is there anything wrong with the local spray and wash if i make sure to rinse the brush first, dry and apply a coat of quick detail?

what is a good clay bar to use?-jonathan

"if i make sure to rinse the brush first" .....

Are you using the BRUSH at the car wash? :scared

I would not use a brush, especially one at a self-serve car wash on your car, you`re just asking for trouble. You can get a couple of buckets, a couple of good wash mitts, and a quality car wash solution at somewhere like Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, Target, etc. Go early to avoid the crowd at the car wash and use their water, but your supplies to do the "two bucket" wash routine.

Go to one of the two links I`m listing at the end of this post and buy a couple of waffle weave MF towels to dry and a few more regular MF`s to do your detailing with. Your car will thank you for not inducing any more scratches, micro-marring, or swirls into your paint.

Clay (from what I`ve read) is only made by a couple of companies and then marketed to the others. I haven`t used a clay yet that I actually hated, so if you can find some Clay magic, Megs, or Mothers you should be OK.

For your leather a mix of 6 parts water and 1 part Woolite works well for cleaning. If you want to condition your leather you may want to do a search and see what others like to use, there are several products out there.

Link 1 (http://www.exceldetail.com/)

Link 2 (http://www.pakshak.com/)

shaf
10-01-2004, 01:47 AM
Welcome to Autopia Johnathan. :welcome

If you *really* don`t have any facilities to wash your car, do a search for Protect All`s Quick and Easy Wash (QEW). Good for apartment dwelling people, and you can still blast off heavy dirt at the self-wash first if needed.

Be sure to check out the Learn! link at the top of the page and use the Search feature. Both are great resources.