PDA

View Full Version : Difference In QDs

Wasatch
09-30-2004, 02:27 PM
I think I remember a post many moons ago about there being a difference in FI and FD (now Last Touch). Something about silicons? Can both be used over sealants and carnaubas? Can all QDs be used over sealants and carnaubas? If a QD contains a carnauba can it be used over a sealant? If a QD contains no carnauba can it be used over a carnauba? Thanks.

ZaneO
09-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Final Inspection is body shop safe, meaning it contains no silicones. It leaves a clean finish with no added gloss. Last Touch has gloss enhancers. You can use either for carnaubas or sealants.

Wasatch
09-30-2004, 03:44 PM
Thanks, Zane

shaf
10-01-2004, 01:24 AM
You can use any type of QD on top of any type of finish, be it sealant, or carnauba, or none of the above. The ONLY times when they become possible issues is if you are trying to apply another layer of sealant over top of it. In that case, people tell you to avoid carnauba QDs. Carnauba waxes should work with any QD.

Wasatch
10-01-2004, 09:20 AM
Thanks Brian :up

III
10-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by 4DSC

In that case, people tell you to avoid carnauba QDs.

What are some qds that contain carnauba?

SAZMan
10-01-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by III

What are some qds that contain carnauba?

I can answer the opposite question, at least partially. Meg`s Final Inspection, Sonus Acrylic Spritz and Eagle One Wet Wipe N Shine DO NOT have carnauba, to the best of my knowledge. I think Griot`s Speed Shine and Pinnacle Crystal Mist do, but please don`t quote me on those.

Wasatch
10-01-2004, 02:15 PM
I know Quik Shine does not. PBs QD+ does.

Scott P
10-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Many QD sprays are designed to work within the same product family. They contain some of the basic formula and integrate with the main last step product in the family. You typically find these with sealants. Zaino Z-6, Fours Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer and I bet even Wolfgang Detail Spritz or NXT`s Spray product come to mind.

Others contain Carnauba wax. Pinnacle Crystal Mist and Poorboy`s QD+ both are in this category. Some treat them as "booster" waxes or spray waxes.

Yet other products are neither. Some contain silicones, some don`t Some are used while the car is wet, others can be used as a waterless wash. There are way to many variables to explain (or at least for me to type up at this moment).

I really like the Crystal Mist on carnauba covered surfaces. When using Zaino, I won`t use anything but Z-6. Basically, I tailor my QD selection to the surface I`m using it on.

Wasatch
10-01-2004, 04:05 PM
What`s confusing to me is this. It`s not normal practice to put a sealant over a carnuaba, but it`s ok to put a non-carnuaba QD over a wax. It`s ok to put a carnuaba over a sealant, but it`s not ok to put a carnuaba QD over a sealant. Am I right here? Like Scott sez, if you can stay within the family it`s ok, but in most cases it`s hard to.

Big Leegr
10-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by John Styrnol

What`s confusing to me is this. It`s not normal practice to put a sealant over a carnuaba, but it`s ok to put a non-carnuaba QD over a wax. It`s ok to put a carnuaba over a sealant, but it`s not ok to put a carnuaba QD over a sealant. Am I right here? Like Scott sez, if you can stay within the family it`s ok, but in most cases it`s hard to.

As Brian mentioned, it`s an issue only if you`re going to put another coat of sealant over a qd w/carnauba `d surface. If you`ve not qd`d for a while, the qd will have "wore out" and you`re left with the sealant alone.

With a non-wax qd used on a waxed surface, you aren`t likely to have major bonding issues due to the dilluted state of the "sealant" qd and the fact that since qd protection isn`t generally something that`s expected to last, any bonding issues will end up looking like the qd just "died".

Since qd`s are used as touch-ups for looks, gloss, or slickness, rather than the base for them, you don`t HAVE to follow the strictest of guidelines with them.

That`s not to say that you won`t get better results using a wax qd with a wax and a "sealant" qd with a sealant.

svanderbilt
10-01-2004, 04:54 PM
I like Einmann Fabrik Clear Pearl for a carnauba spray, and Sonus Acrylic Spritz for a synthetic spray.

Accumulator
10-01-2004, 07:54 PM
I don`t know if it`s really necessary, but I do try to keep the carnauba-contaning QDs paired with wax LSPs and the non-carnauba-containing QDs paired with sealants. I do use FI/#34 on everything, but usually just as a cleaner between processes/steps and I also use Quick Shine on every type of LSP (it`s made to be compatible with a wide range of LSPs).

III- Of the QDs I use frequently, Griot`s Speed Shine and EF Clear Pearl and Pinnacle Crytstal Mist all contain carnuaba.

thom
10-01-2004, 08:18 PM
one grand showoff is a qd that has some cannaua in it.