PDA

View Full Version : Home Page???

Pages : [1] 2

00Ranger
10-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Anyone know what happened to the home page???

kimwallace
10-28-2004, 06:14 PM
Check out this thread:
http://www.detailcity.com/showthread.php?t=7961

Beemerboy
10-28-2004, 07:12 PM
I think that they have changed a few things around ..... Darn webbies are always doing something to trip us up!

kimwallace
10-28-2004, 07:37 PM
Yeah ... I know what you mean ... I am a webdummy.
I did find that if you click on "new posts" the page will look almost like the old home page. Where is that "DC for dummies" book?
All in all I think this is an awesome place ... just have to get more familiar with everything.

Beemerboy
10-28-2004, 07:51 PM
Creatures of habit is all KIM

kimwallace
10-28-2004, 08:05 PM
And in my case ... the older I get, the harder it is to adapt to change :)

CharlesW
10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
Be patient guys.
By the time you get to my age. you forget things so fast that I don`t even remember what the previous board looked like.
Nature has a way of taking care of these problems for us.:D

Charles

AutopiaAdmin
10-28-2004, 08:08 PM
The thing about the new DC layout is that it is SO SIMPLE in design that the simplicity in itself may be somewhat confusing. It isn`t that the layout is confusing at all, people may just be expecting it to be.

The top navigation bar has everything that you need to see all that there is to see at Detail City.

The top navigation bar is on every page at DC except the archives which are in a simple html format.

The forums are right there, in your face on the home page. Easy to find, easy to pick the correct forum to post in.

Simple in design, easy to navigate, easy for dummies with no need for a lengthy instruction manual. If I were to write an instruction manual it would read:

1. See the top navigation bar? Good, just click where you want to go.

Dwayne

The Fuzz
10-28-2004, 11:13 PM
The evolution of DC....

Back when we first started... (http://web.archive.org/web/20020808133622/http://www.detailcity.com/)

Earlier this year... (http://web.archive.org/web/20040208154608/http://detailcity.com/)

DC has changed a lot over the last few years. I expect that we will change even more in the future. Just keep watching that cheese move... lol

norahcrv
10-29-2004, 12:32 AM
Please don`t take this as a complaint, but rather an explanation of my views.

First of all , Thank You, Fuzz for posting those "retro" views of the old DC Home Pages. It has helped me figure out what it is that I`m missing with the new look. It is a much cleaner look, and you are all to be commended for all the hard work and long hours that you have put in to make DC the great site that it is today.

But, I think what I miss is all the "stuff" that was more visible by using the "side panels" on the old home page. For example: Users On Line, Sponsor Links, Shout Box, Chat, User Polls, etc.

While I know that many of these are still accessible from Home Page (either by scrolling or clicking), they are just not out there in plain view. And it takes a while to figure out what is "hidden" where and how to get there.

FWIW - that`s my take on what I`m missing" on the new DC Home Page.

The Fuzz
10-29-2004, 05:44 AM
Please don`t take this as a complaint, but rather an explanation of my views.

First of all , Thank You, Fuzz for posting those "retro" views of the old DC Home Pages. It has helped me figure out what it is that I`m missing with the new look. It is a much cleaner look, and you are all to be commended for all the hard work and long hours that you have put in to make DC the great site that it is today.

But, I think what I miss is all the "stuff" that was more visible by using the "side panels" on the old home page. For example: Users On Line, Sponsor Links, Shout Box, Chat, User Polls, etc.

While I know that many of these are still accessible from Home Page (either by scrolling or clicking), they are just not out there in plain view. And it takes a while to figure out what is "hidden" where and how to get there.

FWIW - that`s my take on what I`m missing" on the new DC Home Page.

So to sum it up, you just want your shoutbox back? :naughty

Poorboy
10-29-2004, 06:44 AM
So to sum it up, you just want your shoutbox back? :naughty
:yeah ..me too:boohoo

The Fuzz
10-29-2004, 07:33 AM
The shoutbox will be making a return. We aren`t done yet, and may never be. We just need to find a stable version that doesn`t crash like the last one did. We would rather have no shoutbox than a broken shoutbox.

As far as everything not being on the homepage in side columns, Detail City now fits everyones screen no matter what size screen you have or what resolution you are using. That was a problem and we fixed it by putting navigation and "Who`s Online" inline with the forums. Side scrolling is so not smooth in my book. Scrolling up and down is where it`s at if you want a smooth website.

Fuzz

JaredPointer
10-29-2004, 07:39 AM
Side scrolling is so not smooth in my book. Scrolling up and down is where it`s at if you want a smooth website. Fuzz

Couldn`t have said it better myself. You guys have done a great job with the site. Kudos!!

norahcrv
10-29-2004, 07:45 AM
. . . . As far as everything not being on the homepage in side columns, Detail City now fits everyones screen no matter what size screen you have or what resolution you are using. That was a problem and we fixed it by putting navigation and "Who`s Online" inline with the forums. Side scrolling is so not smooth in my book. Scrolling up and down is where it`s at if you want a smooth website.

Fuzz

Thanks for explaining that - now I understand!:doh (& YES, I do feel REALLY stupid!!)