PDA

View Full Version : White Vinegar?

yankees1
09-30-2004, 06:04 AM
I read that White Vinegar would remove water spots but will it damage the clearcoat? I have water spots on my black Suburban that I cannot remove.

kustomsol
09-30-2004, 04:49 PM
Before applying a sealant (Zaino), I Dawn wash and then rinse and then use white vinegar. I have used white vinegar (generic grocery store brand) right out of the gallon jug, poured and spread (with a clean cotton rag) once or twice a year on my `77 Black Excalibur (clearcoat), `85 VW gun metal Quantum Syncho (clearcoat), `91 red Buick Reatta (clearcoat), and `02 Silver Lexus LS430 (clearcoat). I then rinse with plenty of water (within a couple of minutes). This will remove water spots, wax, etc. that the Dawn missed. And I`m often accused of having a brand new car since the Excalibur and the Reatta are not frequently seen (11 Excalibur Roadsters made in `77 and only 260 Reatta Convertibles sold in `91. (and less than 600 VW Quantum Synchro`s sold in `85).

Comment: I believe that the "fragility" of automobile paint and clearcoat is overstated. Think about all the air born polutants, acid rain, road tar and film, salts, window cleaners, bird crap, insect juices, tree sap, etc. automobile paint is exposed to daily; not to mention all the really horrible stuff you read about on Autopia that the uninitiated use on their cars (which professional detailers revel in correcting). And vinegar certainly would not be as rough on clear coat as a PC with polish. So, yeah, use the vinegar (straight, like I drink my sour mash sippin` whiskey), just don`t let it stand too long and then rinse well. You will need to apply a sealant or wax after using vinegar.

yankees1
09-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by HRP

Before applying a sealant (Zaino), I Dawn wash and then rinse and then use white vinegar. I have used white vinegar (generic grocery store brand) right out of the gallon jug, poured and spread (with a clean cotton rag) once or twice a year on my `77 Black Excalibur (clearcoat), `85 VW gun metal Quantum Syncho (clearcoat), `91 red Buick Reatta (clearcoat), and `02 Silver Lexus LS430 (clearcoat). I then rinse with plenty of water (within a couple of minutes). This will remove water spots, wax, etc. that the Dawn missed. And I`m often accused of having a brand new car since the Excalibur and the Reatta are not frequently seen (11 Excalibur Roadsters made in `77 and only 260 Reatta Convertibles sold in `91. (and less than 600 VW Quantum Synchro`s sold in `85).

Comment: I believe that the "fragility" of automobile paint and clearcoat is overstated. Think about all the air born polutants, acid rain, road tar and film, salts, window cleaners, bird crap, insect juices, tree sap, etc. automobile paint is exposed to daily; not to mention all the really horrible stuff you read about on Autopia that the uninitiated use on their cars (which professional detailers revel in correcting). And vinegar certainly would not be as rough on clear coat as a PC with polish. So, yeah, use the vinegar (straight, like I drink my sour mash sippin` whiskey), just don`t let it stand too long and then rinse well. You will need to apply a sealant or wax after using vinegar. Thank you for the info!

togwt
10-04-2004, 10:08 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

White vinegar may remove surface water spots but will do nothing for a paint surface with etched water spots

Paint surface Etching:

Which appear as a concave circular marks and are caused by acid rain, industrial fallout, tree resin (sap) or bird excrement, if left for any length of time they will etch the paint film surface leaving a concave circular mark. These can usually be removed by using detailer`s clay to remove any hardened surface deposits, and then using a solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One) and then use a machine polish to level the surface (Iz Einzett TM Metallic Polish or Iz Einzett TM Paint Polis) and reapply surface protection once spots have been removed.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

oaevo8u
10-04-2004, 07:09 PM
Just make sure its a white distilled vinager diluted to 5%

2clean4u
10-04-2004, 09:59 PM
I had a 85 Vw Quantum. When I sold it, it had 250,000 miles on it. I bought it with 45,000 miles on it and replaced the clutch only once :xyxthumbs The only real problem I had with it was that the power window switches kept burning out on me. I would fix them myself by putting them apart and cleaning the contact points. Very simple design and easy to fix.:nixweiss

Scottwax
10-04-2004, 10:04 PM
I mix about a pint into my QEW solution when cleaning hard water spotted cars. If the spots haven`t etched the paint, QEW and vinegar make short work of them. Saves a lot of polishing time.

III
10-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

~One mans opinion / observations~

White vinegar may remove surface water spots but will do nothing for a paint surface with etched water spots

I agree! Also, using distilled vinegar full strength won`t hurt your paint. Make sure you re-wash afterwards and re-wax/seal if you had any protection left. Vinegar will strip wax.

Bobby G
10-05-2004, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by yankees1

I ... will it damage the clearcoat?

Vinegar is pretty mild. You can drink the stuff... it`s not going to damage your car (but it may smell like a salad!).