PDA

View Full Version : Meguiar`s Overkill?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_markd
09-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Would it be overkill to apply the following products to new paint (in this order)?

Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner

Cleaner Wax

Deep Crystal Polish

NXT wax

NXT Booster wax

NXT wax

NXT Booster wax

s100

I would like to use these products since I either bought them or found them around the house, but I`m not sure if they would enhance anything. I`ve never used the Cleaner Wax, for instance, but figure it can`t hurt to remove swirl marks, maybe?

I would be applying it to 2 new cars: 1 titanium grey one, no scratches; 1 black one, light swirl marks.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

Scottwax
09-29-2004, 11:59 PM
New paint? I`d just use #9 Swirl Remover and NXT wax x 2, then wait a few days and top with S100.

ALAN81
09-30-2004, 05:53 AM
this is what I do with new cars

WASH

CLAY

WASH AGAIN

WAX X2

NEXT TIME I WASH I WAX AGAIN

I don`t use swirl remover unless the swirls are there and bad

imported_memnuts
09-30-2004, 06:32 AM
On the silver: I would use clay during the wash and follow with just NXT x 2. Booster when needed down the road to enhance appearance after next wash or just apply another coat of NXT. Protection from NXT should still be present.

Black :shocked

Even a "new" black dealer delivered black requires a great deal of work to really bring to life. The severity of the marring is variable. This may require a simple claying, SMR, filler (meg #81 or #9) and NXT or just clay, SMR and NXT x 2.

Again Booster wax or NXT again down the road. :xyxthumbs

topnotchtouch
09-30-2004, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by markd

Would it be overkill to apply the following products to new paint (in this order)?

[clip]

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mark

Has this "new" paint had time to cure 30-90 days assuming we are talking a repaint or is this a new car?

imported_markd
09-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Thank you all for your responses. To answer your question, it is not a new paint job on an old car. They`re both brand new cars. My brother`s car, for some reason or another, already has swirl marks from an early washing. They`re not as noticeable from a short distance after I polish, but you can still see them up close. I used ScratchX last time, but I don`t think I applied it correctly (I treated it as a wipe-on, wipe-off application) and may give it a second go to see if it resolves anything.

I`ve only used Meg`s products so far so am unfamiliar with how the ScratchX fares with other SMR`s.

Re the booster wax, the last time I did my grey car, I did NXT wax + Booster wax, both x2, and got amazing results. Added depth that two coats of NXT had not done before. So that is my current MO :)

shaf
10-01-2004, 01:11 AM
It will be an almost hopeless endeavour to try and remove swirls with either the cleaner wax or the paint cleaner... those two are probably quite close to each other strengthwise. You could either try Scratch-X, or use the cleaner anyway and just let the other products you have (step 2 and/or NXT) try and hide them, which they may or may not do.

This assumes hand use of course.

hirosh
10-01-2004, 01:26 AM
if anything, i`d suggest with what you currently have:

ScratchX

Deep Crystal Polish

NXT

Booster Wax

NXT

Booster Wax

S100

i`m assuming you allow the NXT to sit for 10-15 minutes before removing, right?

for the ScratchX, you really have to work it in. you could try searching meguiarsonline.com about a good way to use ScratchX.

good luck!

imported_markd
10-01-2004, 01:59 AM
I definitely realize after the fact that I did not apply the ScratchX vigorously enough, so I will try that the next time. Since it`s a new car, I`m hoping it will work. Otherwise, I will revive this thread in due time! :D Thanks again for all your input!

Setec Astronomy
10-01-2004, 08:30 AM
I don`t think anyone pointed out that in your application sequence, the use of the booster wax is "overkill". The booster wax is not intended to be used immediately after the regular wax. It`s intended to be used in between applications of the regular wax....but not like that! It`s to recharge the finish if you don`t want to do a full wax. Mike Phillips explained it here: http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2761

Wasatch
10-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Setec is right the booster stuff is for in-between NXT applications. What kind of applicator are you using with the Scratch X?

imported_markd
10-01-2004, 10:26 AM
Understood regarding the Booster Wax. I only experimented with it b/c someone else on the RX8 forum said he had used it, so I gave it a shot and actually found that I got better depth with using it. Take note that I do it over a 4-day period (giving each layer 24-hours to cure). I don`t do it b/c I feel like I have to do it; I do it b/c I compared it w/ 2 layers of NXT only and felt that using the booster wax in between cured layers of NXT produced better results for me. I also use it in between washings/waxings, as it was intended to be used.

I also do all these steps, using either a foam applicator or old terry cloth towel.

imported_markd
10-01-2004, 11:50 AM
Another somewhat related question I have involves the QD. Someone on another forum said that his QD stripped his wax, and, I guess somewhat similarly, that Meguiar`s thread Setec sent said to use Booster Wax when you use a QD spray on your car. Does a QD spray, then, strip a wax, such as NXT? I always thought it was supposed to enhance and protect it. I`ve been using Eagle One Wipe N Shine.

svanderbilt
10-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Quick detailer is literally about 95% water, so I`m not sure how that`d "strip wax".

Many of the folks on other forums don`t have a clue (hell, alot of us don`t have a clue here, either) so just take what you read on manufacturers forums with a grain of salt.

On a new car I`d still suggest a cleaner product, as new cars are often quite dirty from their long journey via boat/rail/truck to your dealer.

Accumulator
10-01-2004, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by markd

I also do all these steps, using either a foam applicator or old terry cloth towel.

I wouldn`t touch automotive paint with an "old terry towel", too likely to cause marring. Even my best Charsimas are too coarse for me to use for such applications. I strongly encourage you to get some good MFs, they`ll help minimize the chance of marring the finish. Or at least stick with the foam for any but the most aggressive polishing, for which the added cut of the terry might be appropriate.