PDA

View Full Version : Pitted Windshield

DrSauekraut
09-29-2004, 07:10 PM
Hi everyone. Being my first post in the forum, just wanted to introduce myself and ask for a bit of advice. I’ve been a detailing fanatic for many years, though one thing I’m not familiar with is glass. I’ve clayed and polished auto glass, but never have I had an encounter like this one. A customer has complained about his windshield and I must admit that it’s an eye sore. No cracks or spider webs, but simply pitted so badly that it appears speckled even when freshly cleaned. My recommendation was to replace it all together and this doesn’t sit well with him. I know of several products which clean windshields, but I’m skeptical that anything can remedy the pitting. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Bill D
09-29-2004, 07:13 PM
Welcome to Autopia Knockworst :wavey

AFAIK, replacement is the only solution. Nothing that can successfully fill the pitting. Some regard windshield replacement as normal maintenance.

DrSauekraut
09-29-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, Bill :)

White95Max
09-29-2004, 08:18 PM
What about glass polish? Can it remove shallow pitting or is it just for hairline scratches and nothing more?

Bill D
09-29-2004, 08:32 PM
AFAIK, just for light scratches

kompressornsc
09-30-2004, 05:41 AM
I recently had mine replaced for pitting (so bad that insurance covered it). After 10,000 miles, my new one is horrible as well. MB glass is really soft.

Polishing will actually make the pits more visible. I use Zaino glass polish, and although it makes it all clean & shiny, the pits show worse than ever.

Lowejackson
09-30-2004, 07:07 AM
I was in a similar situation a few years ago, I had a long chat with a rep from the glass company. They would only attempt to polish very minor marks or they recommend replacement.

In terms of safety, these pits allow dirt to become trapped, which is then smeared across the glass when the wiper blades are in use.

I would say replace the glass

jasonmac
09-30-2004, 07:29 AM
I`m running into the same thing -- on my next service, I`m going to see what the odds are for insurance to cover the replacement.

It really does take away from the rest of the car.

White95Max
09-30-2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah mine are showing really well now that I`ve waxed the windshield so many times. I thought maybe the polish would at least remove the wax from the pits. I think I see spots of wax inside the pits more than I see the pits themselves.

Eliot Ness
09-30-2004, 01:24 PM
The Eastwood company sells some glass polishes that remove defects. Their kits range from those for minor scuffing to those for deeper scratches. The link below is for the most agressive kit I`ve seen. I`ve never used it, and from the description it may not be for the faint of heart :D

Link to Eastwood Glass Polish (http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2024&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=glass+polish)