PDA

View Full Version : What products to use?

DB350Z
09-29-2004, 05:46 PM
I bought a Daytona Blue 350Z in March and I do nothing but baby it. I have some minor swirls that I would like to get rid of and I am completely confused on what products to buy.

I used to own a Honda Accord and I frequently visited hondasociety.com. Scottwax used to rave about S100 so the last time I waxed the Z I followed this process:

Wash with Dawn

Apply S100 Paint Cleanser

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover

Apply S100 Carnauba Wax

I was happy with the results as far as the wax goes but the 3M didn`t remove the swirl marks. I would like to keep the S100 products so I don`t have to dish out more mulah and probably get a different compound or polish (whatever it is called).

I recently got a PC which I haven`t used yet but I will be ordering the pads from the Autopia store. Can you recommend what products I need to accomplish my task?

Thanks!

shaf
10-01-2004, 12:42 AM
Hi DB350Z, welcome to Autopia. :welcome

You probably didn`t remove the swirls because SMR is too mild with hand use. It`s good to use following something stronger, but for most de-swirling jobs you`d probably be better off with something a bit stronger, like DACP, 1z Paint Polish, or maybe even a fine cut product. By PC it should be even easier.

Also I should note that the use of the S100 paint cleanser before SMR is backwards, but that wouldn`t have affected your results that much.

Check out the Learn! link at the top of the page if you haven`t already, and make sure your washing technique or other materials aren`t causing those swirls, because although inevitable, they have to come from somewhere. HTH :)

DB350Z
10-05-2004, 07:29 PM
I`m detailing my Mom`s RX300 this weekend. It`s silver and this will be my first time using #83 and the PC. I have already bought most of my products.

Wash

Mother`s Gold Clay Bar

Wash again

Meg #83

S100 Cleanser

S100 Wax

I haven`t noticed any swirls on her car but then again I haven`t really look very hard because I mainly just care about my Z. =) She has some scratches and scuff marks on her vehicle. Will the #83 take out the scuff marks? Can I screw up her car?

Oh and I bought the Lake County or whatever pads from Autopia. It comes with 3 pads. Which one should I use with which product?

Eliot Ness
10-05-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by DB350Z

Wash

Mother`s Gold Clay Bar

Wash again

Meg #83

S100 Cleanser

S100 Wax.......

Oh and I bought the Lake County or whatever pads from Autopia. It comes with 3 pads. Which one should I use with which product?

The LC pads are as follows:

Orange: light cutting pad for polishes

White: polishing pad

Grey: finishing pad for applying waxes/sealants

Inspect the finish before you use DACP, if you have little to no swirls, etc., then use something else like #80 first (you can always switch over to DACP if needed). Use the DACP (or #80)with the white pad, if there are defects you can`t remove, then switch to the orange pad, then follow up with the white pad again if needed.

You should probably order more white pads, that will be the one you use the most and you`ll need one for each product (polish) during a detail.

DB350Z
10-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Shall I use the white pad for my S100 Cleanser as well? Thanks!

Eliot Ness
10-05-2004, 09:52 PM

Shall I use the white pad for my S100 Cleanser as well? Thanks!

Yes, but use a fresh white pad. Don`t use the same pad for different products or you`ll risk cross contamination. After using them clean them, let them dry, then place in a zip lock bag marked with what product you use with them.

DB350Z
10-06-2004, 10:59 PM
So I bought some more stuff haha. Bought some NXT & some Meg QD.

New list:

Wash

Mother`s Gold Clay Bar

Wash again

Meg #83

S100 Cleanser

NXT

S100 Wax

How long shall I wait between applications? Can`t wait for the weekend! Should I use the NXT QD or is the Meg QD fine?

Eliot Ness
10-06-2004, 11:16 PM

Wash

Mother`s Gold Clay Bar

Wash again

Meg #83

S100 Cleanser

NXT

S100 Wax

How long shall I wait between applications? Can`t wait for the weekend! Should I use the NXT QD or is the Meg QD fine?

The only wait might be between the NXT and S100 wax, let the NXT cure for about 12 hours before putting a wax on it.

The NXT QD isn`t really a QD, it`s a booster wax made to prolong/enhance NXT. If you`re topping it with S100, you probably want to go with a regular QD for a carnuba wax.

Two suggestions. If you work the DACP correctly and your finsh looks good you may be able to skip the cleanser and go right to NXT. Also try a 2nd layer of NXT after 12 hours and you may like the look well enough to skip the S100 wax.

DB350Z
10-06-2004, 11:19 PM
How do I prime my PC pad, with the wax itself or the QD? Can I use the Meg QD on top of the S100 OR NXT? I really appreciate all the answers.