PDA

View Full Version : What kind of car cover do you use?

White95Max
09-28-2004, 09:03 PM
I have a cheap car cover that I bought a couple years ago, but it was bought at a department store and I think it`s scratching the paint every now and then. I`m thinking about a new one; it would be used mostly for keeping snow off the car.

Please state whether your car cover has shown to be water resistant, meaning the car is completely dry after you take the cover off after a rain.

If you could, also state the price you paid and where you got it.

Thanks

Bill D
09-28-2004, 09:11 PM
In all honesty Ive been very happy with my 2 cover method:

a Weathershield over a Noah

No, no condensation issues. That said, I can`t comment for sure how it holds up over,say outside all day long and never uncovered for the winter, but I suspect it will be ok in the end

Yes, water is kept out unless perhaps under tropical storm + conditions, and I`ve never had saturation yet

Pricey and over the top, that`s for you to say: For now, this seems like the only combination that will work to my satisfaction

For a single cover only, I`d decide between these two

I can no longer recommend any single website to purchase from. I`ve learned the place i got mine is no longer the lowest priced. It`s going to require some googling and shopping around to find it now I guess :nixweiss

My 2 covers were about $260 total

SpoiledMan
09-28-2004, 09:31 PM
I just got a Noah for my Integra from Autogeek (http://www.autogeek.com) for $175. It hasn`t been wet yet but it seems like it will hold up just fine and keep the car dry. Being in Cali, I can`t comment on the snow issue.;)

forrest@mothers
09-28-2004, 09:34 PM
I don`t think a completely waterproof cover is a good thing - it needs the ability to expel water under the cover, whether from water on the paint or from the ground below.

For outdoor use, I`m an old-fashioned guy - I prefer Evolution material. It`s 4 layers thick, so it has door ding protection. NOAH offers the same environmental protection, but it`s only 3 layers thick. The plus - easier to store/less bulky. The minus - less door ding/hail protection.

For indoor use, I use Dustop, which is the state-of-the-art replacement for flannel lined cotton (it won`t absorb moisture from humidity, and traps 3X as much dust from migrating through the cover as flannel lined cotton).

My covers are made by Covercraft. All 3 materials above are made by Kimberly Clark, and might be sold under other names by cover companies.

The lowest price shouldn`t be your deciding factor - go for good fit (custom with mirror pockets) and good service.

autoweenie
09-28-2004, 10:39 PM
I use Weathershield - unfortunately, it does not keep

the car totally dry underneath. I have dew condensation

in the morning and sometimes that will even seep through the cover. (I think I wash the cover one too many times and the cover becomes less water repellant.)

Perhaps, you should try Bill D`s method.

Not cheap, though. I personally will probably go crazy - putting

on and taking off car covers are not my favorite tasks -

even when it takes me about 30 seconds to do the cover.

The best price I have seen on web is from www.ajusa.com.

(free shipping, too)

Good luck.

Bill D
09-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by CarWeenie

Perhaps, you should try Bill D`s method.

Not cheap, though. I personally will probably go crazy - putting

on and taking off car covers are not my favorite tasks -

even when it takes me about 30 seconds to do the cover.

I find the 2 covers to seem to be breathable, not like covering the car in 2 tarps.

No need to install one then another, you can put them both on together, takes just as long as putting on one :up

Rainbow
09-29-2004, 12:18 PM
I use Covercraft. I have one that I use for my Vette. The car stays in storage, so it is not a waterproof cover. On my 4runner I have one that is waterproof because it stays in the weather most of the time. These are excellent constructed car covers that wont scratch your car. :) I would go to covercraft.com and take a look around. They have a large selection of covers to fit your needs.

Bill D
09-29-2004, 12:23 PM
Which Covercraft weave?

Rainbow
09-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Multibond / Block-It® 200 Series

Good Value for Quality & Protection

3-Layer Non-Woven Polypropylene Fabric

Good Indoor Dust Protection

Fair Outdoor Protection

Custom Patterned

Fabric Color: Gray

Warranty: 2 Years

I have this one on my VETTE! :D Works great! No problems with dust at all. I have had it for about 5 years.

Evolution® (Technalon) - Gray

Popular All-Weather Fabric

Dent Protecting 4-Layer Construction

Water & Dust Resistant

Strong Polypropylene Fibers

Insulates Vehicle Against Weather

Fabric Color: Gray

Warranty: 4 Years

I have this one on my 4runner. I have only had it for about 6 weeks. My truck is in Texas and I am out in California. I went home about 2 weeks ago and took the cover off and everything looked fine. :cool: They haven`t had much rain in Houston. I will be going home again next weekend to check on it. I bought it at Autogeek.com.

I am really happy with the quality of the Covercrafts.

samhian
09-29-2004, 02:23 PM
I have the Noah. I got it from Big Sky Car Covers. Excellent service and had the best price I could find. I love the cover. The fit is perfect and the cover is easy to fold and throw in the trunk.

Bill D
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
FWIW I believe someone found some of the best prices from www.webcovers.com recently. They did beat those from www.websweeper.com where I got mine.

Mooresville
08-25-2008, 04:53 PM
The Touchless Car Cover is superior since the fabric does not touch the painted surface of the car - easy to store, easy to take on and off - no dusty car that is a result of a dirty traditional car cover.

archebald23
03-17-2010, 10:50 PM
i have used alot of car cover brands and none of them so far lived up to their claim. i just want my car dry amidst the change of weather, still on the path of tracking the best out there.