PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Help.... I have an idea but want to Make sure

Pages : [1] 2

cali6869
09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Hey guys... Im a newbie here and I need lots of help.

Let me start by saying that I love washing my cars....

I have a silver bmw that I have been washing and applying Zaino Faithfully for 2 years... The finish on that car is spectacular.

Now all this time, I always thought Zaino was a Polish/Wax... I actually thought wax and polish was the same thing.

Well recently I bought a used Red BMW (im still keeping the silver one) and the finish is nothing to my standards... the Car has lots of swirl marks... they are not deep, but they are easily seen under the sun and because of the color.

I have zaino`ed the car 2 weeks in a row.. the swirls have reduced but havent dissapeared.

Now in my search for a better product or method, I found Autopia.org

I have learned by doing some reasearch and reading the tutorials under the learn button. But I still have some questions.

First I want to get rid of the swirls, so I bought a PC. I also bought Menzerna IP and FP. Are Menzerna the right products I should use? I read somewhere that says that Menzerna its better on an orbital.

Also before I start the whole process, do I need to wash the car with Dawn again? Im assuming yea, to get rid of the Zaino.

Now what is the correct process I should Use?

1. Wash w/ Dawn

2. Clay Bar

3. Wash with car shampoo

4. PC w/IP (Do I take out the IP before applying the FP?)

5. PC w/FP

6. wipe with microfiber towel

7. Seal with Zaino Z2 or Z5

Is there anything else Im missing?

Please suggest methods or Products (price its not a problem, I just want to achieve the best finish as possible).

Im trying to get that shinny wet look.

Sorry for the long post.

imported_ajbarnes
09-28-2004, 01:25 PM
DACP with orange pad on speed 6. = #4

#9 with white pad on speed 4. = #5

:bigups

Eliot Ness
09-28-2004, 01:32 PM
I haven`t used the Menzerna products, but from what I`ve read I think you`ll be OK with them. You did buy some pads with your PC didn`t you? If not here are a couple of links for info on PC pads:

Link 1 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44347)

Link 2 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44558)

On your question about "Do I take out the IP before applying the FP?" If you mean remove it, then yes, buff it off before going to the FP. You may have to make more than one pass with the IP if the swirls are bad enough.

Other combo`s that have worked well for me are Megs DACP (#83) followed by Megs #80, or 3M`s PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by 3M`s PI III MG (machine glaze).

cali6869
09-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Thanks guys, yes I bought pads already... I bought the package from autopia, it was the one that came with all the pads and the PC.

I will give it a try and see how it comes out.

Aurora
09-28-2004, 03:07 PM
POst pics for us and most of all- enjoy!:xyxthumbs

Aurora
09-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Oh, and don`t bother with the DISH soap. The polishes will tear right through it. I actually had vey good luck with spraying the car down with water/vinegar. The slickness was gone just like that. Just sprayed, QEW`ed and I was done.

imported_jaobrien6
09-28-2004, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by cali6869

1. Wash w/ Dawn

2. Clay Bar

3. Wash with car shampoo

4. PC w/IP (Do I take out the IP before applying the FP?)

5. PC w/FP

6. wipe with microfiber towel

7. Seal with Zaino Z2 or Z5

My thoughts:

1. Any car shampoo will be fine, no need to use dawn. The polishing will definitely removing any Zaino that`s on the car.

4. Yes, you must remove the IP. Based on your terminology ("apply" specifically), I wonder if you`re thinking that you simply apply and remove a polish like you do with a wax. That is not the case... polishes must be worked into the paint in order to be effective. It is not simply a matter of WOWO (Wipe on, wipe off) like most waxes and sealants. If this is your first time polishing (it sounds like it), try checking out the info under the learn icon at the top of the page to get technique information and tips.

I haven`t actually used the Menzerna polishes before, but lots of people here have and have gotten great results with them. Keep in mind that much of the end result is technique, and not just the products you buy, so don`t except a perfectly flawless surface after your first polishing attempt.

John

cali6869
09-28-2004, 04:07 PM
So what is the proper technique for polishing? (yes I read the how to polish... )

Im going to apply it with the PC and work it till it dries? and then wipe off?

Am I wrong?

Thanks

imported_jaobrien6
09-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Ok, it sounds like you`re on the right track, I just wanted to make sure.

The exact technique will depend a lot on the products you use, and since I haven`t used the Menzerna polishes, I can`t give you specific advice. For example, DACP need to be worked until it dries in order to break down appropriately, whereas 1Z Paint Polish stays wet for a long time and you don`t need to let it dry before wiping it off. I believe from what I`ve read previously on here regarding Menzerna that you`ll need to work them just until they start to dry, but you should probably do a search for menzerna technique or something like that.

Or, maybe someone with experience with those products will join in here.

John

Eliot Ness
09-28-2004, 04:21 PM

So what is the proper technique for polishing? (yes I read the how to polish... )

Im going to apply it with the PC and work it till it dries? and then wipe off?

Am I wrong?

Thanks

I work DACP until it pretty much dusts off, but I don`t think you should work the Menzerna products quite that far.

I did a search and found a couple of threads that might give you some more info from guys that use the Menzerna products quite a bit. You may have to read through all the posts to glean the info you`re looking for. Actually I think the second thread may be more useful. Hope this helps:

Thread 1 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42214&highlight=fp%2A)

Thread 2 (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42975&highlight=fp%2A)

cali6869
09-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Thanks for your imput guys....

ONe more question.... Seems like DACP its really good (I see everyone on this board uses them). Do you guys recomend that one instead? Is it a top notch polish... and if I go with teh DACP route, waht are teh other polishes that I need to complement this product.

Thank you.

JasonD
09-28-2004, 04:53 PM
I actually prefer 3M PI III RC and 3M PI III MG over the DACP. DACP can be a little finicky sometimes and the learning curve is a little bit longer than most.

If you decide to go with #83, get some #80 to follow it.

Eliot Ness
09-28-2004, 04:56 PM

ONe more question.... Seems like DACP its really good (I see everyone on this board uses them). Do you guys recomend that one instead? Is it a top notch polish... and if I go with teh DACP route, waht are teh other polishes that I need to complement this product.

Thank you.

I like DACP as do many others on this board. If you go with DACP the other product I`d get to follow it up with is Megs #80. In fact, you may want to try #80 before using #83 (DACP).

There are many good polishes out there, it comes down to what works best for someone under the conditions they use it.

EDIT: I also like the 3M products that JDookie mentioned, they`re easy to work with.

shaf
09-29-2004, 01:40 AM

Thank you. Even if you are sure that there is a lot of swirling, I highly recommend you take the "unsure" route and try out your milder products first before moving up to your stronger ones (whatever these products may be).

If you are new to polishing this will give you a good feel for the strength of your products so that you aren`t just using them "on autopilot" if you know what I mean.

cali6869
09-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by 4DSC

Even if you are sure that there is a lot of swirling, I highly recommend you take the "unsure" route and try out your milder products first before moving up to your stronger ones (whatever these products may be).

If you are new to polishing this will give you a good feel for the strength of your products so that you aren`t just using them "on autopilot" if you know what I mean.

Totally understand of what you saying.... but what are the milder products?

Scenario:

If I polish with Menzerna, and Im not happy with the finish. Can I polish again the next week?

I think its not recomended to polish too often right?