PDA

View Full Version : What makes rotary & PC pads different?

jaybs02
09-28-2004, 04:45 AM
What is the difference between pads for the PC and a rotary?

I have a friend of mine who has a B&D rotary for me, and I want to know if I can use the same pads for both? I already have pads for the PC.

But if pads for a rotary will work on both then I will get extra rotary pads

If not, I was wondering what makes them different?

TIA

"J"

Lowejackson
09-28-2004, 06:10 AM
As far as I know, there is no difference in the pads. It is how the pads are utilised by the machines which makes the difference.

mgm2003
09-28-2004, 06:24 AM
You can use the same pads. The backing plate threads that connect the PC and rotary are different sizes, which seems to be the main difference.

paco
09-28-2004, 08:39 AM
one of the biggest problems surrounding DAs. The pads are not designed to withstand the random orbit movements of the DA.

For most people, the pads tend to not last as long as the ones used soley for rotary work.

Meguiars had problems earlier with their backing plates (W64DA) and pads when a lot of people starting using them on DAs. They had to go back and change their adhesives and potentially the hook and loop to make them a big stronger. At least, that is what I recall reading last summer.

Either way, the pads still last a pretty long time as long as you careful when washing them.

NOTE: The pad manufacturers do not recommend washing pads!!! Washing them aggressively causes premature failure.

Paco

Accumulator
09-28-2004, 10:15 AM
Yeah, I use the same pads (literally the exact same individual ones) on both the rotary and the PC. The "jiggle action" of the PC can indeed mess with the velcro on some pads (especially Meg`s ones); it places more stress on on them than the single-direction nature of the rotary. Still, no biggie. You do, of course, have to consider backing plate sizes as previously mentioned.

Even though it might not be recommended, I wash all my pads with Dawn and I can probably count my velcro failures on my ten fingers , even after many years of doing this :nixweiss

bufferman71
09-28-2004, 10:27 AM
The difference between the rotary and the d.a. pads is that the way the loop or backing on the d.a. pad should be adhered differently as to take the heat being created by the polisher. The rotary pads do not create as much heat since they spin in only one direction as compared to the dual action polishers.

shaf
09-29-2004, 01:22 AM
Originally posted by bufferman71

The difference between the rotary and the d.a. pads is that the way the loop or backing on the d.a. pad should be adhered differently as to take the heat being created by the polisher. The rotary pads do not create as much heat since they spin in only one direction as compared to the dual action polishers. Well that might explain some of the hook and loop failures we`ve heard about in the past then! Mind you, the last case of this I saw in person (2wheelsx2`s plate) was supposedly a purpose designed Meguiar`s DA plate.... maybe they used the wrong hook type by accident or something.

Care to comment on the use of downward pressure while polishing and its affect on velcro? Some people press down a fair amount on their PC to increase polishing effectiveness.