PDA

View Full Version : I have Had Enough

imported_screemingtp
09-27-2004, 06:24 PM
This is a bunch of whoo haaa I follow all the gods and listen to the tapes read a bunch of magazines watch the meguiars how to video and still. I am talking about using the Rotary. I decided to use it today on parts of my car for practice, and end up getting myself upset because each time I do it, it justs keeps on gumming up on me. I used the Maroon pad and some DACP on my rear spoiler of my grand prix and my trunck. I primed my pad and applied a small bead of product. With my machiene set at about 1400 rpm. I place my machiene on the spoiler and turn it on lift the machiene ever so slightly to pick up the product and work it in. In about 15 seconds the product gums up and then sticks on the panel and the only way I can get it off is by wiping it off. I understand that I have to work the DACP until it starts to disappear but that wasn`t the case it did that too fast. To the point that it couldn`t work it in because the product gummed up as I said before and if I worked it in anymore that it would cause more problems. WHAT THE HECK AM I DOING WRONG!!!!!!!!!!

If anyone is in the Michigan area and is willing to take their time out of their day to teach me I will be very greatful.

:angry :angry :angry :angry

Mr. Chemist
09-27-2004, 10:51 PM
I dont know what the "maroon" pad is... is it wool? or foam? And specifically which DACP did you use.

There are some waxes that will make up a rotory pad right away....particularly a wool pad. So it could be just a simple pad/product mis-match. 1400....seems pretty fast for learning...might try slowing down to 1000 to start.

If I was just learning I would go with a 3M waffle pad and a light finishing compound, just for practice. Learn to use the wheel flat and on it`s edge a bit ...very light pressure to always maintain control. Keep the pad moist untill you learn to run it close to dry appropriately.

hirosh
09-27-2004, 11:56 PM
i found these tips off the properautocare.com website

- Work in areas of 18 to 20 square inches.

- Always start at a lower speed (1000 rpm)

- Apply compounds and polishes directly to the paint.

- Lightly mist pads with water (or a quick-detail spray) before compounding and polishing.

- With the machine off, use the pad to spread product over the paint.

- Always place the pad on the paint before turning the machine on.

- Inspect your progress often to determine when you are done.

- Use a circular polisher for compounding and polishing, not for finishing or applying wax or paint sealants.

i don`t use a rotary but 1400 rpm might be too fast for DACP. and maroon pad, the Meguiar`s maroon pad? maybe that is too aggressive, especially since you`re using a rotary.

you might also want to try PM`ing some of the rotary users, like i know GSRstillez uses one.

good luck.

Scottwax
09-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Just curious, what problems are you trying to correct using the burgandy cutting pad and DACP? If it is oxidation, you might have better luck busting the top layer loose using a terry cloth towel and gum up that instead. Once you bust through some of the oxidation, your pads won`t gum up so bad.

You also might want to try using the polishing pad and a bit less DACP, start at 1000 rpm until you really get the feel of the rotary. Honestly, starting off at 1400 rpm with an aggressive pad and a moderately aggressive polish is a recipe for catastrophy if you haven`t use a rotary before. Go to your local wrecking yard, buy a couple of fenders and practice on them first. Much cheaper than burning through your paint.

wifehatescar
09-28-2004, 08:40 AM
Screemin

See my post on DC, send me a PM and I`ll try to help you out.

Accumulator
09-28-2004, 10:38 AM
If the maroon/DACP (aka cutting pad/Meg`s #83) isn`t working for you after numerous attempts, maybe you oughta just try a different pad/product combo. I know it`s satisfying to master a given product/process, but there are a lot of alternatives out there. A cutting pad with 1Z Ultra is about as aggressive as you oughta get (IMO) and it`s very user-friendly.

paco
09-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Try stepping down from the Cutting Pad (maroon) to the Polishing Pad (Yellow - not tan) and see how it goes.

DACP isn`t the easiest product to work with. However, once you have it working for you, it really does a good job.

The cutting pad is also a bit tricky to work with as well.

So Cutting Pad + DACP can be difficulty until you figure how much product to use, how much pad priming is useful and what speed to run it at.

Also, the type of polisher you have might also be the issue.

So what works on a Makita 9227/Cutting Pad/DACP at 1400 RPM for one user might not work on a Wen etc.

It might be best for you to try 3 applications of Swirl Free Polish using a Polishing pad then using DACP and a cutting pad.

vdog0531
09-28-2004, 01:06 PM
what is the temperature of the of vehicle you are working on. i know that if i am rushing and i bring a car in after it has been sitting outside and the paint is still warm... DACP tends to gunk up. if you are working in the sunlight, the DACP will dry up real fast and you can`t work it. well at least for me. working in the shade with that stuff when the paint is a descently cool temp is the best. i know its hard to find all the time but you just get frustrated if you try using the product is a situation it deosn`t wanna be in.

GoodnClean
09-28-2004, 01:37 PM
I haven`t used the rotary but I`ve found DACP will do that when the paint surface is really hot when using the PC. You might want to try something thats more friendly in the sun like maybe the Poorbiys SSR line.

imported_screemingtp
09-29-2004, 09:34 AM
All this was done in the evening in my garage. So temp wasn`t a factor.

Scott P
09-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by screemingtp

All this was done in the evening in my garage. So temp wasn`t a factor.

Maybe humidity was a contributing factor?