PDA

View Full Version : PC pad questions

RonTL
09-27-2004, 12:28 PM
Im going to be buying the PC from this site with the sonus pads. Someone told me after doing about 1 hood and fender, that the pad im using would need to be cleaned with soap and water because it would have caked polish all over it. Is this true? Or do i just brush the pad off and keep using it or is there another way?

Another thing is, im going to be trying the PC on a single stage truck that is heavily oxidized. I assume the pad will get paint on it from the truck. Does this clean off easily? Because my terry cloth applicator i used for polshing a single stage truck, got paint all over it and I couldn`t get all of the paint off it.

Thanks, Ronnie (RonTL)

RonTL
09-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Another question i need answered is, when im cleaning my car windows, and i spray stoners on there and wipe, i see like water spots or something when the glass is wet with the stoners, but dont see it when its dry, and the windows take a while to buff the streaks and smears dry, and the smears are rainbow colored :nixweiss(guess thats normal though). I usually wiped the windows with stoners and those cheap MF from dollar store and then buff dry with a clean cheap MF. Any tips?

Accumulator
09-27-2004, 08:21 PM
RonTL- Sounds like your windows could use a little going-over with glass polish. Nothing unusual sounding though.

On the pads, if you have to clean the pads that often you`re using way too much product. I`ve done some big vehicles without even cleaning the pad at all. If you *do* have to clean it you should be able to do it with a toothbrush (just watch that you don`t launch the pad into the next county). That`s with b/c paint, ss is different and much messier.

You`ll have to clean the pads more often with the ss because it`ll load them up with "dead" paint. No biggie, it`ll clean up/out just fine. I`ve even used previously nasty (from ss paint) pads on b/c cars after cleaning them up.

RonTL
09-27-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. :D So if i use the pads on clearcoat paint, and the pad gets caked while using it, then i should just wipe with tootbrush then continue. Now what about after I finish the vehicle, should i just wipe with toothbrush and put away or wash in a bucket or something with some dawn or car shampoo?

Now for the single stage vehicle, since there will be paint on the pads, after i do the vehicle, should i wash it in a bucket of dawn or car shampoo and let soak?

THanks, RonTL

JasonD
09-27-2004, 10:13 PM
I let mine soak for an hour or two, then spray them clean with the hose. You will usually find all the leftover polish sitting at the bottom of the bucket. Try to be as gentle with the pads as you can, so soaking them just makes it a lot easier to do so.

As far as the toothbrush, that`s for when you are in the middle of detailing and just want to get rid of some build-up but have more to do. After you`re done, just go for the full cleaning with a bucket of soapy water.