PDA

View Full Version : 9 years without wax is too long

imported_Totoland Mach
09-26-2004, 08:10 AM
My neighbor who has a heart condition and can`t maintain his vehicle has a 9 year old GMC that has never been waxed. The finish was awful! Oxidized, cracked, and chips everywhere.

1. DACP with 8006 pad (literally wore out the pad). I tried the Meguiar`s "burgandy" pad (can`t remember the number) and it didn`t perform as well as the 8006.

2. ColorX with a 9006 pad. Great product for paint such as this. Easy to apply and remove.

Overall, I did this as a good learning experience with a vehicle suffering from serious neglect. I wanted to get some timing for future reference. Took about 4 hours without doing interior, glass, tires, etc.

imported_Totoland Mach
09-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Finished 2 doors with DACP with a reference point of the back fender "glow"

imported_Totoland Mach
09-26-2004, 08:17 AM
Guess which half is DACP`d?

imported_Totoland Mach
09-26-2004, 08:21 AM
Needless to say, I got a big grin out of the owner. This project will also give me an idea of the longevity of ColorX. I was going to use NXT, but decided to try ColorX due to the finish neglect. The Jimmy sits outside all the time, so it will be a good test.

jaybs02
09-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Thats not only a real nice turn around on a neglected finish, but also a nice thing to do for your neighbor.:up

Aurora
09-26-2004, 08:29 AM
:up Very nice work. Your pad is BLACK. Doesn`t look nine years old to me.:) I`m on the same boat and want to get times down so I might do an early 80`s ford truck for an uncle just get a feel. My car is maintained well enough and I can`t go off of what I spend on that.

:xyxthumbs Great work again!!!

imported_Totoland Mach
09-26-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by jrocc1212

:up Very nice work. Your pad is BLACK. Doesn`t look nine years old to me.:) I`m on the same boat and want to get times down so I might do an early 80`s ford truck for an uncle just get a feel. My car is maintained well enough and I can`t go off of what I spend on that.

:xyxthumbs Great work again!!!

That pad was a throw-away when I finished. By the time I did the roof (which probably should have been clay bar`d), the grit in the paint wore the pad down darn near to the backing plate. If you do your uncle`s truck...you`ll definitely get a feel. Talk about an upper body workout...I got mine yesterday. My neighbor is an old racer (has pic`s of him racing a GT40 Ford in the 60`s) and has some super racing memorabilia.

Carl Anderson
09-26-2004, 09:18 AM
Great post! The 2 door photo is a classic. Just shows why detailing can be so rewarding. It is like giving someone a new car for next to nothing.

hirosh
09-26-2004, 06:33 PM
wow, great job! and major props for helping out your neighbor! :xyxthumbs your neighbor wouldn`t happen to still have the GT40, huh? :D

imported_edschwab1
09-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Nice transformation.

Eric

CRXSi90
09-26-2004, 09:05 PM
Flashback: I did a Jimmy at work this summer that looked almost exactly the same as that one (same condition, too), except it had chrome mud flaps, a brush guard, and about 30,000 miles and original "panther paw" or something tires.

I attacked it by hand and got results that were actually pretty decent. Well, for doing it by hand and having people yelling at you to go faster all day.

Overall, it took me about 9 or 10 hours, IIRC, but that was to do it inside and out. I think the Dealer I work at would save time (and eventually money) by getting a PC and maybe even a rotary...I don`t expect it to happen...its just not in their mentality.

Anyway, good job! I think we charged $50 at the dealer. I take it this was a freebie (to get the times down).

90 ZR-1
09-28-2004, 07:16 PM
Holy **** what a difference.

imported_Totoland Mach
09-28-2004, 08:38 PM
CRSsi90: yep it was a "good neighbor" freebie, but he does let my family use his pool whenever we want, so it was more reciprocal.

The pc definitely made short work of the job. I wouldn`t want to even attempt it by hand.

Thanks all for the compliments...much appreciated!

NXT4now
09-29-2004, 11:17 AM
very nice before and after pics!:xyxthumbs