PDA

View Full Version : DIY network shows use of rotary buffer

SVR
09-25-2004, 09:12 PM
The other day I was watching classic car restoration on how to channel and there was a ten minute segment where a guy wet sanded the white 60`s thunderbird`s oxidised paint and then got out the 3M P III rubbing compound(one with nascar on the label) and applied with 3M waffle foam pad. He applied a 20cent piece sized dab directly to the hood and sprayed the hood twice and pad four times with water. Don`t know what speed he used but sounded like 1100-1450 rpm. Absolutely no pressure and it came up a treat.

My problem has been applying a vice like grip to the handle when doing most panels but I hold the base of the machine when doing doors which gives you more control.

Certainly helped me out.

QUESTION

Should I spray the foam cutting pad and panel with water for every product I use

My current cutting compounds and pads are

3M P II Rubbing

Malco Rejuvinator

PPG 1500 cutting creme

Farecla G3 and G10

(trying to get menz power gloss and will be getting more 3M cutting compounds shortly)

1 Meguiars W9000 foam cutting and 1 polishing pad

2 Lambswool

Yellow and white Edge 2000 foam pads coming soon

imported_edschwab1
09-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Link to DIY article (http://www.diynet.com/diy/ab_auto_restoration/article/0,2021,DIY_13680_2863204,00.html)

According to the DIY website this episode is airing in late October.

Eric

l33
09-26-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by SVR

QUESTION

Should I spray the foam cutting pad and panel with water for every product I use

Spray the foam pad with water (or QD) when you begin to prime the pad, no matter what product you use. Then spray it as necessary once you move from panel to panel.

So with Power Gloss for example, spray the pad with water, apply some product to prime it then begin buffing. After the first pass I apply a line of product to the panel itself and pick it up with the buffer.

I don`t spray the panel, only the pad.