PDA

View Full Version : B & D Orbital similar to PC?

Craigmri
09-25-2004, 05:13 PM
Hey guys, After reading about PC`s for weeks I became interested. I assume the PC is a random orbital unit.

I already own a Black and Decker 6" orbital(palm style) buffer. I checked the specs and its a single speed at 4000 Orbits per minute. I have both terry bonnets and foam bonnets as well.

My question is this.....Will this give me similar results as a PC? Should I use the foam bonnet to apply my Liquid glass or NXT?

Thanks in advance.

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

Don
09-25-2004, 05:50 PM
The Porter Cable runs at 2,500-6,000 OPMs, so your B&D machine won`t be able to deal with swirls & scratches as severe as the ones the PC can, but for mild marring, it should be OK.

Yes, use the foam to apply your last step product.

Accumulator
09-25-2004, 06:30 PM
Yeah, it`ll almost certainly act like a single-speed PC, and 4K OPM isn`t a bad single speed.

I would *not* use terry bonnets (will often cause marring). For now, see if your foam pads seem soft enough. If they aren`t too harsh, they should work fine with the LG or NXT.

I`d see about getting some "PC pads" for it. Does it use a velcro backing plate? If not, can you get one for it? See how the backing plate attaches, it may very well use the same ones that a PC does.

Craigmri
09-25-2004, 06:39 PM
Guys,

First, thanks for the replies! This place is incredibily helpful!

The Orbital has a hard foam backing pad that uses Bonnets with elastic that covers the hard styrofoam. I`m gonna take a closer look tonight in the garage and see if the styrofoam backing plate can be removed. Perhaps I can install a more conventional system on it.

Autopia IMHO is the BEST forum on the internet. I have been on many forums(motorcycle,cars, computers etc..) and this place has the most helpful members, the most knowledgable, the most passionate, the most enthusiastic members I have ever seen. You guys all rock! :bow

Craig

`04 Sedona EX

EdLancer
09-25-2004, 07:44 PM
If its the orange B&D orbital buffer then it will not have enough torque to remove swirls, it is just good to apply wax nothing more sorry to say ! If you want something more powerful, but less expensive then the PC then a good variable speed 3-4 amp orbital sander with a hook&loop backplate will do the trick, I have seen them around for $59cdn at Reno Depot under the McAlister name.

Craigmri
09-25-2004, 07:55 PM
Ed,

Its actually blue

http://www.toolpartsdirect.com/cgi-bin/noframes.cgi/blackdecker/BP900_TYPE_1

I just got in from the garage and it dies a nice job of applying the NXT. Very even application.

As for the torque required to use compounds you may be right. I`ll have to experiment down the road. The Sedona looks great but under flourescent lighting you can see some acid etching in the clear in the center of the hood near the windshield. Down the road when I strip the sealer back off I`ll start out with something aggressive enought to try and work those etches but for now i`m gonna just keep it slick.

Craig

`04 Sedona EX.