PDA

View Full Version : clay bar help

triplethreat
09-25-2004, 09:07 AM
Well this is the first time i have used a clay bar and have a few quesstions. first of how much lubricant should i use i am using megs #34fi. should it catch some or be totally slippery. next question when using a clay bar on the windows to remove water spots is it okay to use #34fi on the windshield if not what should i use i am in the process of doing my truck now so any help would be great thanks.

Dan

White95Max
09-25-2004, 09:50 AM
you should use enough lubricant to allow the clay bar to glide across the paint. It should not grip on the paint at all.

As for your windshield, I frequently use Mothers Showtime QD on my windshield and windows, so I don`t see why you couldn`t use FI. If you`re worried about it, just use a car soap/water mixture for your lube instead of FI. It works just as well, and you can save the QD spray for QDing.

I put a spot of car soap about the size of a half-dollar on the bottom of a 24-ounce spray bottle, and fill the rest with DISTILLED water. Then shake it a bit to mix it up. I definitely recommend using distilled water because you won`t end up with additional water spots for any reason.

Just out of curiousity, what kind of polish/sealant/wax are you going to use after claying?

I see that your truck is white. I`d recommend GEPC, EX-P, and Paste Glaz. You can check this thread to see my car after that combo.

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44406

RedondoV6
09-25-2004, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by triplethreat

Well this is the first time i have used a clay bar and have a few quesstions. first of how much lubricant should i use i am using megs #34fi. should it catch some or be totally slippery. next question when using a clay bar on the windows to remove water spots is it okay to use #34fi on the windshield if not what should i use i am in the process of doing my truck now so any help would be great thanks.

Dan

Clay on glass is fine. On the lube .. do not let your clay catch, it should be gliding across the surface. Just use enough lube or wash to make this happen.

If you have time (and I recommend you find time) read the how to use clay guide below.

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14

Good luck!

triplethreat
09-25-2004, 11:13 AM
thanks for the info i think i`ve got it working now.

Dan