PDA

View Full Version : help !

chip douglas
09-24-2004, 07:52 PM
Ok, here`s what I do : I wash my car, rinse it, let it air dry, then break out the rotary, prime my Meg`s finishing pad, so no area is dry--I prime it with compound of course :). I smear the compound round with the rotary off. I then start buffing with 3M`s machine glaze 5937, and keep the pad flat and also overlap each stroke by 50%, and buff it till it flashes. Then I take it in the sun, wash it and inspect for holograms, and although I`ve done all the above mentioned, I still get them everytime.

Does everyone here, wash the car after you`re done buffing/polishing using a rotary and take it outside in the sunlight to look for holograms ? Or use a 50/50 water/alcohol mix as an alternative ? Of course I wipe it using quick detailer I don`t see holograms, but it only hides them I guess. From up close they appear as very very fine and closely grouped scratches. I`ve tried rubbing them off with my finger but no can do, they stay there. I`ve tried changing pad and still no luck. I think 3M`s 5937 leaves some very very fine marks, or perhaps it is the pad, and honestly I`d tend to think the pad is responsible for such scratches. They`re not washmitt scratches as I`Ve learned the difference the hard way this summer :).

I need help, as I can`t see what it is im doing wrong......and I`d like to use the rotary only to make the finish perfect. The PC would cut it for me but I prefer to master the hardest--the rotary.

shaf
09-25-2004, 12:58 AM
It could be a lot of things causing your problems (temperature?)... but I hardly know enough about rotary usage to help you out.

Maybe start another thread or edit the title to be more descriptive and mention the word "rotary".... In any case, good luck.