PDA

View Full Version : Storing car for winter

vmckague
09-24-2004, 01:07 PM
I`m going to store my car for the winter and this will be the first time I`ve ever did this. It is a black BMW convertible and it will be stored outside under a car cover. Any tips for getting it ready? I already have a good coat of wax on it and the inside detailed. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas they would like to share

thanks

Vernon in central Mo.

imported_memnuts
09-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Black paint and long term outdoors storage with a car cover is a bad combo IMO. Try to rent a safe indoor storage space. I did my Basic training at Ft Leonard Wood, Mo.(in Fall) and I remember permanent party troops mentioning the pending rough winters out there. Try to find someplace indoors. This would be money well spent. :wavey

Bill D
09-24-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah definitely do not stoer outside, dso everything you can to secure an indoor facility. I religiously use a car bag http://www.carbag.com with my Sunday driver

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by vmckague

I`m going to store my car for the winter and this will be the first time I`ve ever did this. It is a black BMW convertible and it will be stored outside under a car cover. Any tips for getting it ready?

What do you think about the idea of using two car covers? The first cover resting directly on the paint could be a soft flannel lined, indoor type of cover, topped with your basic outdoor cover.

Bill D
09-25-2004, 11:06 AM
A flannel lined cover underneath something like a Weathershield may be an issue for prolonged outdoor use , the flannel may night be able to allow condensation to evaporate properly.

The two car cover method that works for me is Weathershield over a Noah. However,I couldn`t comment about their effectiveness over a long period of time

Peter Crowl
09-25-2004, 07:09 PM
One word...Stabil

All the advice about covering and prepping the body is good...but...today`s motor fuel - not to be confused with gasoline - can turn bad in 6 months. 8 is more typical but heat accelerates the process in my experience.

Add Stabil to the fuel tank per instructions and you`ll be happy when you come out of storage.

Peter in Denver

Bill D
09-25-2004, 07:11 PM
Buy it by the case! :xyxthumbs

Beercan31
09-25-2004, 08:10 PM
If it is at all possible store you car on a BLACK TOP surface.

Storing a car on Gravel, Dirt, or any other non-sealed surface you will prematurely deteriorate your undercarriage (Rust)

Stabil = Good idea Peter Crowl.

Good luck