PDA

View Full Version : Fun with oxidation (insert sarcasm here)

Pages : [1] 2

wifehatescar
09-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Did two cars recently that have had the worst oxidation I have seen. Got some good before/after pictures though! Check it out:

http://www.customautodetailing.com/7009/22401.html

Loosely, the process was:

PB`s PP on rotary

SSR2 on rotary

AIO on PC

They both do not look new now, but there were huge improvements.:xyxthumbs :shocked

LightngSVT
09-24-2004, 10:22 AM
You`re site looks really good. Nice job on the cars.

vdog0531
09-24-2004, 10:27 AM
great work. i love doing oxidized vehicles like that because 1) the before and after pics are great and 2) the owners usually have gave up on their car and you can bring it back for them. great work!:up

Vernon

wifehatescar
09-24-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks! ;)

ntwrkguy1
09-24-2004, 10:44 AM
Nice work on the oxidation! Is there ANY worse paint for oxidation than Toyota red?? I also like the work you did on the Ford Bronco. That metallic really pops!

andriver
09-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Good work :up . Night and day difference.

Jngrbrdman
09-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Sweeeeeet! Gotta love before and afters with oxidation like that. :bigups Shots like those are examples of pictures being worth a thousand words. No trick photography needed. That is one of the resasons that I love to detail really abused cars. Its nice to do that hundred thousand dollar Porsche or exotic car every now and then, but nothing compares to the satisfiaction of bringing a car back from the dead like that. Excellent work! :cool:

AudiOn19s
09-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Many here use AIO to remove oxidation. How do you rate the Pro Polish at it`s ability to clean compared to the AIO?

I`ve been finding that my good old bottle of ColorX seems to be the goto product for oxidation for me right now over colorX BUT I`ve yet to have the opportunity to use PP.

Andy

wifehatescar
09-24-2004, 12:42 PM
I`d say the cleaning ability is similar between PP and AIO. The Tercel was sucking up product like crazy, I had to use about 3-4 oz for the first pass on it, so I went with PP first because it`s cheaper than AIO.

It was really tough going on both vehicles though. Had to use alot of product, work it in, and then scrub it off with S&W and an old MF. After 3 passes with PP, SSR2 and AIO, there was still some oxidation left but I threw the towel in (literally) at that point.

Lowejackson
09-24-2004, 12:54 PM
Great work :xyxthumbs

317indy
09-24-2004, 07:02 PM
After removing heavy oxidation like that is it hard to get a very nice reflection and smooth surface? Or is it so bad that it will never look great again?

cheapshot
09-24-2004, 07:13 PM
could this be done witht he pc alone? mybe a medium compound and cutting pad? then follow with some thing else? just curious

wifehatescar
09-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by 317indy

After removing heavy oxidation like that is it hard to get a very nice reflection and smooth surface? Or is it so bad that it will never look great again?

Yes very hard!

I suspect if I kept at it for more passes it would look even better, maybe not ever look "great" though.

imported_edschwab1
09-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Great work, but where is the trisquit box for comparison the Tercel. To get the surface flat for clear reflection would require a heavy cut compound or wet sanding.

Eric

wifehatescar
09-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by cheapshot

could this be done witht he pc alone? mybe a medium compound and cutting pad? then follow with some thing else? just curious

Actually, the first pass worked best by hand with a terry applicator. There was so much oxidation coming up, it immediately gummed up the foam pads.

The key was first using a chemical polish...on a finish like that, a foam pad on a machine is actually not that effective. Terry cloth with lots of product worked best for me. It`s not a quick process.