PDA

View Full Version : When using White Vinegar to remove water spots is it absolutely necessary....?

DopeCelicaGT
09-23-2004, 09:00 PM
When using white vinegar in a few small areas to remove water spots, is it absolutely necessary to rerinse these areas with water? I mean I put some white vinegar on a towel and gently rubbed the waterspots until they were gone then just sprayed these areas with some quick detailer and went about my business. The reason I am asking is because a friend of mine told me that if left on there, White Vinegar would remove the paint. I just wiped the area with a towel that had a little white vinegar on it and then went back over it with some quick detailing spray. I hope it will be ok because I have about 10 coats of Zaino on top of it now, so someone please tell me the absolute truth about using this stuff. Thank you for your help.

Justin

Jesstzn
09-23-2004, 09:58 PM
If my chemistry serves me right vinegar is something like 3% acetic acid and used like you did even tho not optimal I doubt will cause issues like he said. I think your buddie is into drama .

a.k.a. Patrick
09-23-2004, 10:04 PM
The acid in your stomach is more volatile then shelf vinegar.....You have more to worry about if someone hurls on your car, than white vinegar.....The QD should neutralize whatever hasnt evaporated.....

Scottwax
09-23-2004, 10:32 PM
I just add some into the QEW solution when I have to detail cars with water spots. When I polish them out, any trace vinegar on the paint is removed.

JasonD
09-23-2004, 10:47 PM
Hmm, interesting. Can you do that with regular soap/water in a bucket?

Scottwax
09-23-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Hmm, interesting. Can you do that with regular soap/water in a bucket?

I`m sure you could. It is easier with QEW to see if the spots are coming off or if you need to add more vinegar.

Only real problem is the smell. :(

DopeCelicaGT
09-23-2004, 10:58 PM
Yeah the smell is pretty ferocious, unless you like the smell of pickle juice LOL. However, you can cover the smell up by diluting it with some nice smelling car wash. Actually regular water will hide the smell a good bit. The smell only bothers me when I am around it full strength for a long period of time. Thanks for the help guys. I thought he was a little nuts. Hell acid rain is probably much more of a concern than 4% acidic white vinegar.

Justin

90 ZR-1
09-24-2004, 03:56 PM
I have some water spots on the wing of my car from people opening the garage door durring or after a rain storm and not putting a towel on the wing or whiping it off after it gets wet. Can some tell me what delution I need with the viniger to get rid of them, and what QEW is?

a.k.a. Patrick
09-24-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by 90 ZR-1

I have some water spots on the wing of my car from people opening the garage door durring or after a rain storm and not putting a towel on the wing or whiping it off after it gets wet. Can some tell me what delution I need with the viniger to get rid of them, and what QEW is?

ZR, it would be the day anyone wiped water off my truck, period.

You can use vinegar full strength without any ill effects, I have removed concrete splatters with saturated paper towels, let it sit on for up to 20-30 minutes. I would reccommend the same for you if there severe enough. QEW, is Protectalls Quick and easy Wash. Developed i believe originally for RV`rs in campgrounds, but found extremely useful for apt/condo dwellers such as myself, who dont have immediate access to a hose bib.... Its a chemical that is mixed with water in very small amts, and adds lubrication properties to your wash water, without having to use auto soap. Any hazing is easily wiped off if you dont get to it in time before drying. Also, and other users chime in, adds a slight slickness, maybe it was what i had remaining from the prior detail job?

imported_eggroll
09-24-2004, 05:02 PM
There was a thread with people comparing their QEW, everyone had a little white glob that resembled a packaging peanut in their QEW.

Someone mentioned that it was carnauba wax so that is why it adds slickness.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-24-2004, 07:20 PM
I have another theory.....

I just received a case of it, some bottles have it, some dont....My theory ? I have no idea what it could be !