PDA

View Full Version : 3M 05933 vs Meg`s #83

EdLancer
09-23-2004, 05:42 PM
Anyone used these two products ?, I have both in hand now and have used the 3M several times with great results, just haven`t had the chance to try the #83 yet, what can I expect with the #83 ?

stevet
09-23-2004, 06:18 PM
05933 is 3M Perfect it III Rubbing Compound. Megs #83 is DACP. I find the 3M RC to be a much better product. It is more abrasive than #83 and I mean significantly more. I recently did a black Monte Carlo SS and it was swirled to sh#t. The DACP was very slow going and dusty. I was using it because I wanted to use it up. I would have been there all day doing this car because DACP was not getting it done. Switched to 05933 and it was no contest. Removed the majority of the damage on the first pass and very little dust. I have read on Autopia that #83 and 05933 are close in abrasiveness but that is not the results I got.

05933 also left a better finish. I was using a cutting pad with it and on a black car it left an almost ready to wax/seal finish.

05933 also works great by hand. I have never had good results with DACP by hand.

EdLancer
09-24-2004, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by stevet

05933 is 3M Perfect it III Rubbing Compound. Megs #83 is DACP. I find the 3M RC to be a much better product. It is more abrasive than #83 and I mean significantly more. I recently did a black Monte Carlo SS and it was swirled to sh#t. The DACP was very slow going and dusty. I was using it because I wanted to use it up. I would have been there all day doing this car because DACP was not getting it done. Switched to 05933 and it was no contest. Removed the majority of the damage on the first pass and very little dust. I have read on Autopia that #83 and 05933 are close in abrasiveness but that is not the results I got.

05933 also left a better finish. I was using a cutting pad with it and on a black car it left an almost ready to wax/seal finish.

05933 also works great by hand. I have never had good results with DACP by hand.

Thanks for the input, I had gotten #83 just to try because I likee the way #82 works. I find that 05933 leaves alot of resisdue too althought its not dust, but then I wasn`t comparing it to anything else.

You might be surprise to learn that 3M has always been the car industries brand of choice and Meguiar`s who rules the retail consumer market only got accepted it into the industrial sector only in 1999.

xku807
09-24-2004, 02:44 AM

I recently did a black Monte Carlo SS and it was swirled to sh#t. The DACP was very slow going and dusty. I was using it because I wanted to use it up. I would have been there all day doing this car because DACP was not getting it done. Switched to 05933 and it was no contest.

Did you use a PC or a rotary on the Monte Carlo?

stevet
09-24-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by xku807

Did you use a PC or a rotary on the Monte Carlo?

I used a PC.

Another thing I like about 05933 is that is has no fillers. The swirls are removed not hidden.

stevet
09-24-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by EdLancer

Thanks for the input, I had gotten #83 just to try because I likee the way #82 works. I find that 05933 leaves alot of resisdue too althought its not dust, but then I wasn`t comparing it to anything else.

Many people use and really like #83. I just find 05933 to be better because of the reasons I stated.

How long are you working 05933? I don`t find it leaves a lot of residue. I don`t find any polish does if you work it long enough.

Bill D
09-24-2004, 10:28 AM
I now have the 3m PI III RC as well. What was said about 3m and the auto industry is true and food for thought. No time for fillers or oils there. That aside, I got it on recommendation that it is effective and easy via PC/Cyclo/rotary on Audi paint.

Accumulator
09-24-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah, the 05933 is my go-to product of that type also.

If you`re getting much dust/residue, try using less. Same ol` same ol`, you need a lot less product than most people would imagine.

EdLancer
09-24-2004, 12:52 PM

Many people use and really like #83. I just find 05933 to be better because of the reasons I stated.

How long are you working 05933? I don`t find it leaves a lot of residue. I don`t find any polish does if you work it long enough.

I`m working it till it hazes, I don`t use much product on the 7` pads, just with a dispenser 3 semi beads on the first pass and 2 semi beads on all others.