PDA

View Full Version : Are you washing your MF towels well enough?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JasonD
09-23-2004, 05:31 PM
As some of you may or may not know, I recently did a detail on my father`s black F150 and used the exact same process I have used at least a dozen times, and for some reason this particular detail ended up with very faint scuff marks on the paint at certain angles. At first I was thinking that I did something wrong, or that I didn`t polish long enough but after a few tests I have come to the conclusion that it was my mf towels that were causing this. The main reason I know this is because I just got a few new ones in yesterday and the new ones are a whole lot softer compared to my older ones, which aren`t that old.

After asking lots of questions (special thanks to Accumulator :xyxthumbs ) and getting great advice from everyone, I have determined that my towels are harder because of the way I am washing them. First of all, I am using powdered detergent :o , I know, it`s a :nono but I did it anyway. I normally wash on Hot and double rinse on Warm, then dry on low heat, no dryer sheets or anything. I thought this process was working fine until the streaking began. Following everyone`s instructions, I went to the grocery and bought some Distilled Vinegar (5% acidity) to help break down the detergents. First, I washed the towels with half the normal amount of detergent I normally use with hot water and let it run. When it got to the first rinse cycle I put the vinegar in and let it run completely through that cycle plus one more with just water. Next, I started the washer completely over, except no soap/detergents at all, only vinegar and watched it as it filled up. To my surprise, when the washer started......suds everywhere, almost like I put a whole scoop of detergent in with it. Here I am two complete washing cycles and four rinsing cycles later and they are STILL foaming with soap. I can completely see why I was getting streaks and why my towels were getting harder.

Most people don`t normally watch their towels washing in the machine, but we really should start. I don`t know how many cycles it`s going to take to get all the soap out but I am just going to keep going until I see plain water and will let everyone know how many that actually takes.

By the way, I have micro-restore on the way so the regular detergent is out the window from now on.

PAW
09-23-2004, 05:35 PM
I don`t think liquid detergent suds as much as powder does. Just my observation. :)

Rainbow
09-23-2004, 05:46 PM
I wash mine with Amway for sensitive people. It is made for baby clothes. I have no problems with suds.:xyxthumbs

JasonD
09-23-2004, 05:49 PM
Very true guys, but as we have learned with car shampoos, having suds doesn`t necessarily mean its cleaning ability is any different that not having suds. The question here is, are we getting all the soap/detergent out? I think the answer is multiple rinse cycles (I learned this from Accumulator) , and I will see how this micro-restore stuff works.

imported_memnuts
09-23-2004, 05:55 PM
The reason for using liquid detergent verses a powder is simply to elimination any chance of undissolved powder remaining the MF material. The cleaning ability of both are about the same.

I always add about 4-6oz of white vinegar during the first rinse. Dry at lowest temp and remove just prior to completely dry.

All towels feel like new. :xyxthumbs

SilverLexus
09-23-2004, 06:22 PM
You gotta get Sonus Wunder Wasche. I have seen it clean MFs that are in terrible shape. MF just requires a specially designed detergent. I used to use Tide HE (I have a Neptune washer) and it worked okay but stepping up to the Sonus WW was a big improvement in cleaning.

JasonD
09-23-2004, 06:24 PM
SilverLexus,

Have you ever used micro-restore before?

Antonio Wright
09-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

SilverLexus,

I don`t understand your problem. I read you routine and I believe you are doing way, way too much work just to wash your towels. :nixweiss

I use SHOUT on any spots and stains on the towels. I use the WARM/COLD cycle with a capful of WOOLITE. Sometimes I add a scoup of OXYCLEAN into the mix. I have been doing this for a year now and no problems. I have never had a issue with soap still in the towels are foaming fo any kind.

stevet
09-23-2004, 06:47 PM
I use liquid Tide Free. I use very little, just enough to make the water look cloudy but not sudsy. Rinse twice and no problems.

III
09-23-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by JDookie

Most people don`t normally watch their towels washing in the machine, but we really should start. I don`t know how many cycles it`s going to take to get all the soap out but I am just going to keep going until I see plain water and will let everyone know how many that actually takes.

You`ll be surprised at how many rinses it takes to get rid of the soap completly. I`ve done up to 14 rinses before I`ve seen plain/clear water and I don`t use that much soap.

SilverLexus
09-23-2004, 07:07 PM

No but my guess is that Sonus WW is very similar.

I don`t think Tide is as effective although I like Tide a lot as a product.

JasonD
09-23-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Antonio Wright

I don`t understand your problem. I read you routine and I believe you are doing way, way too much work just to wash your towels. :nixweiss

My problem is all of a sudden my towels started leaving some nasty streaks behind and it is due to a detergent build up in the towels, and I know why this happened I am just trying to figure out how to reverse this and get my soft towels back. It`s only this much work because I`m fixing a problem that`s been building over the past few months, and here I am. From now on I know better than to use powdered detergents, but the damage is already done.

Anyway, after three wash cycles and six rinse cycles, the soap is all out and they are in the dryer. I will see how soft they are when they come out and hopefully they aren`t ruined.

jfelbab
09-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by stevet

I use liquid Tide Free. I use very little, just enough to make the water look cloudy but not sudsy. Rinse twice and no problems.

Same here. I have found that you just don`t need much detergent to clean MF towels. A little detergent and hot water is very effective.

imported_ajbarnes
09-23-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by jfelbab

Same here. I have found that you just don`t need much detergent to clean MF towels. A little detergent and hot water is very effective.

Exactly. Add on multiple rinses and you`ve got yourself some very clean like new towels.:xyxthumbs

carcrazy22
09-23-2004, 09:43 PM
I am also doing same like Antonio Wright

Instead of SHOUT I use Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner for pretreating stains ( use Spray nozzle not Stream) . I give extra rinse after washing cycle is completed and add white vinegar. Towels come out totally clean, so far no problem - residue or streaking.:up

Plus dry MF cause streaking. Once they are little wet or damp, it absorbs good and cause no streaking. Thats my observation. :nixweiss