PDA

View Full Version : UPP questions

Pages : [1] 2

NetBoy
09-23-2004, 02:27 PM
Does this bead water ?

How durable is UPP (just UPP, no wax topper) ?

Zaino ran out so I thought I`d try UPP.

At $14.95 it`s a lot cheaper than Zaino, Menzerna FMJ or Blackfire.

Thanks

MattZ28
09-23-2004, 02:35 PM
UPP beads like crazy. I`ve never left it on long enough since I`m always trying new combos, but most people say 4-5 months durability. It is my favorite sealant.....UNBELIEVABLY slick.

Scottwax
09-23-2004, 03:32 PM
Like Matt said, it beads great! Very slick and very wet looking. I got 3 months beading on a single stage black Lexus LX 470. It may have gone longer but she likes me to keep it waxed.

imported_memnuts
09-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Will UPP give you the durability and continual just waxed look of Zaino. No

With that stated, if I had to use a second tier sealant protectant UPP would be one of my choices. UPP really looks excellent when first applied.

Zaino Z2 - $12.95 (8 oz) plus shipping

UPP $14.95 (16 oz) plus shipping

Confused on the saving point. Zaino has better durability that would negate any initial cost saving.

If you want a sample of UPP maybe we can work a trade. PM me. :wavey

stevet
09-23-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

With that stated, if I had to use a second tier sealant protectant UPP would be one of my choices. UPP really looks excellent when first applied.

Just wondering what you consider a first tier sealant other than Zaino?

imported_memnuts
09-23-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by stevet

Just wondering what you consider a first tier sealant other than Zaino?

layerable: Klasse

non-layerable: Meg #20 (a real sleeper that`s locally available).

tailwind
09-23-2004, 05:59 PM
When you add in the cost of ZFX and Z6, Zaino starts getting expensive. I know those two aren`t necessary, but they`re extremely useful going along with Z2 or Z5.

I wouldn`t put Zaino as a first-tier sealant. Yes, it lasts a long time...but I used it for a year, and the stale looks (along with amplification of minor defects, since I have a daily driven black car,) just didn`t do it for me. As of now, it`s only used on white and metallic silver cars that don`t show much depth. I much prefer Blackfire or FMJ for a sealant, and I have a feeling I`d like UPP more, too.

stevet
09-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by blkZ28Conv

layerable: Klasse

non-layerable: Meg #20 (a real sleeper that`s locally available).

I use and really like both of those products. I just don`t think of UPP as second tier. I find it to be very slick, looks great, easy on and off, and decent durability.

imported_memnuts
09-24-2004, 09:55 AM
I have 3 black vehicles (2 red and a silver also) but only one is a black vehicle daily driver. I understand your peril. The marring you see is not a quality of the sealant (Zaino) but a result of your post application care (washing, QD`ing, normal environmental assaults). No protectant can ward off these problems. A very good feature of products like UPP, carnaubas, BF, WG, etc is their ability to "mask" minor defects with their non-protective components. Great for optically created depth and hiding minor surface imperfections (make-up) between preps. I prefer to eliminate surface problems as they occur, try my best not to create any during washing, never QD anything but a clean surface (just washed or garaged since last wash) and create my depth via meticulous periodic polishing.

I top neither Zaino nor Klasse because of the depth created during prep.

I have done some simple test in my lab (hospital) for different insoluble contents of most of these sealants. I centrifuged the sealants and noted the solvent contents of them. UPP, BF and WG were surprisingly quite similar in volume. Both in resin button at bottom of tube and percentage of solvent. EX and NXT both had larger resin button and less percentage of solvent per total volume tested. The most notable observation was the viscosity and tactile feel of the solvent layer. The UPP, WG, BF, etc were much more oily in texture where the Klasse and Zaino were a lot less viscous (more watery than oily).

This is how I produced my tier system which also includes application effort and buffing besides the observable characteristics (appearance) when using these products. I desire products with less oily solvents and ingredients because of these products have a decrease longevity of that initial "POP" that one receives immediately after waxing/sealing. As the oils evaporate the "POP" decreases. Just personal preference on my part.

imported_Intermezzo
09-24-2004, 10:41 AM
Very good post Edwin!.. though I`m not surprised one bit at the similarities between Blackfire, UPP & WG.

imported_memnuts
09-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Intermezzo

Very good post Edwin!.. though I`m not surprised one bit at the similarities between Blackfire, UPP & WG.

Tony,

Thanks. :bow

I was trying to be a little tongue in cheek with the "surprise" part but did not want to post :rolleyes:

If anyone has access to a centrifuge please try this little analysis. Warning: The NXT and EX-P must spin for at least 15 minutes (@3400 rpm) to get any separation. PITA.

NetBoy
09-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the replies.

Z2 with ZFX($20), Z6 is expensive. Never used Z2 by itself.

I`m unhappy with 3 coats of ZFX-Z2 on my silver BMW. Thought I`d try something else. Never heard of UPP until I found this board.

$15 a bottle is worth a try. Need a bottle with 4 cars.

Has anyone tried topping Z2 with UPP ?

2wheelsx2
09-24-2004, 11:30 AM
Fantastic post Edwin, and excellent findings. I am amazed that after 5 years on this board, I still see new stuff that people uncover.

Hmmmm...maybe it`s time to try NXT.

tailwind
09-24-2004, 07:24 PM
No matter what you want to say about my washing techniques, not one daily driven black car on this planet is completely defect-free, especially when subjected to rain, sand, dirt, snow, and whatever else is on the roads.

Zaino doesn`t show as much depth as the other mentioned sealants, and it does amplify these minor defects. Is this a bad thing? Yes, it sure is. Does Zaino also have great things about it? Yes, it sure does.

But is it "alone" on the first-tier market shelf with another product (Klasse SG) that`s similar in looks, but is a whole lot more fussy in application and removal? In my opinion, no...not even close. You try and make it seem like I prefer Blackfire and FMJ because they hide what my "amateur" detailing techniques do to the paint. I don`t introduce a ton of marring on my car, and I`ve yet to meet one other person that`s actually noticed the flaws that bother me on a daily basis. I am not going to polish out these minor flaws all the time that only I notice for the sake of using a sealant that I don`t even LIKE the looks of.

So, I use a cheaper and better-looking sealant (read: my opinion) that`s also easier to use, Blackfire. I don`t use it because it hides defects, because I don`t personally believe it does to an extent that`s noticeable. It (and the many other products I use along with it) just doesn`t amplify them nearly as much as Zaino.

You don`t like oily products. Good for you. I do. Don`t ever make the assumption that I prefer them because I have a bad technique that introduces defects.

imported_memnuts
09-24-2004, 09:01 PM
What sticking out your ARSE!!! Tailwind, now I see the meaning behind (excuse the pun) you name. :rolleyes:

No one mention you. All general statements, my personal experimentation with products and daily problems that I and all that detail run into. Rain and snow will only cause water spots if left alone. Not surface swirls. Sand and dirt only create problem if not handled properly. Your own admission that this was a problem only leads to the most obvious sources of your surface defects. Because "I" perfer to eliminate flaws rather than tolerate, not ignore flaws because others do not see (how do you know that?), wash with extreme care and emphasis prep makes me a critic of you? :nixweiss

If you do not like the "look" of a product do not try to justify this with false attributes like inability to hide marring to justify your opinion. Zaino in this case never possessed this skill for serious surface imperfection. Also if you do not have the love of this hobby/vocation to spend the time to maintain a flawless finish, again do not blame the product. That is why there are different product types, techniques used and situational needs.

At not point in my post did I state one or another product had a better appearance. This is too objective and prep related subject to even discuss. I even offer the originator of this post a sample of UPP.

I made no mention of FMJ because I have yet to try it. I am sure it is a good product because I love my Menzerna prep products (IP and FP).

I do not even desire to go into your "depth" statement about Zaino. (see Sig)

Hint: lacking in prep skills? :nixweiss

Oils are not bad. I just do not like them in my sealants for that stated reasons.

So before you jump into something....let the garage door up and allow in some fresh air. The brain normally functions alot more efficiently that way.

The bravado of youth. Have a great day. :cool: