PDA

View Full Version : Sonus Green Pads...

AutoFreak615
09-23-2004, 07:17 AM
i just received my pc/sonus kit and i love using the pc, but i have a question about the sonus green pad. after using, washing and drying the pad, i noticed it has gotten softer than it was when it was new, which now makes it softer than the blue and grey pad (still unused). question is, is it supposed to happen that way? and if i use the blue/grey pad, will it become softer than it is now? thanks in advance.

Bobby G
09-23-2004, 10:32 AM
This is normal. The foam should maintain its structure and body through many washes, but the feel may soften a bit. The Sonus green foam is very close in density to the standard Lake Country white foam. It has enough density to handle typical, light polishing tasks. However, it should have more body than the blue foam.

Just a note, you can`t really tell how a foam pad will perform by feel alone. I`m testing a new yellow pre-polymer foam that has more cutting power than the orange pads, yet it is softer and far more durable. A pad can be soft and still cut well.

db

RedondoV6
09-23-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by DavidB

This is normal. The foam should maintain its structure and body through many washes, but the feel may soften a bit. The Sonus green foam is very close in density to the standard Lake Country white foam. It has enough density to handle typical, light polishing tasks. However, it should have more body than the blue foam.

Just a note, you can`t really tell how a foam pad will perform by feel alone. I`m testing a new yellow pre-polymer foam that has more cutting power than the orange pads, yet it is softer and far more durable. A pad can be soft and still cut well.

db

David, If the new yellow foam is more agressive than the current orange foam, will you be offering that in the full size pad? I know a new yellow foam pad will never become my "go to" pad but it would be nice to have something more agressive than orange on occasion.

AutoFreak615
09-23-2004, 06:12 PM
thanks davidb

imported_edschwab1
09-24-2004, 06:10 PM
I was looking for a cutting pad with an agressive cut. Does the pad mar the finish or does the softness help prevent marring?

Eric

bufferman71
09-27-2004, 03:14 PM
The green Sonus pad is a reticulated polyester foam whereas the LC white is a prepolymer foam. Both have different characteristics.

RedondoV6
09-27-2004, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by bufferman71

The green Sonus pad is a reticulated polyester foam whereas the LC white is a prepolymer foam. Both have different characteristics.

Thats very interesting ....erm .. could you please explain the difference between the two foams and and the implications for their use?

bufferman71
09-28-2004, 10:24 AM
The white foam is more dense, more body to it and also more tensile strength. Meaning it doesnt tear easy when stretched.

Corey Bit Spank
10-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Will these pads fit my 6" backing plate? :)

Bobby G
10-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Corey Bit Spank

Will these pads fit my 6" backing plate? :)

Yes! Here is an excerpt from the SONÃœS SFX description that talks about the pads:

SONÜS SFX POLISH PADS MAKE THE DIFFERENCE. Each SONÜS SFX polish has been properly matched with an SFX 6†polishing pad for use with a dual-action polisher or rotary buffer. The SFX pads feature engineered prepolymer foams that are hydrophilic, meaning they absorb vast amounts of water (liquids) and swell. In addition to being hydrophilic, the SFX prepolymer foams are extremely durable. Sharp edges, such as emblems and trim, shred regular foam pads, but are less likely to damage the SFX pads.

The hydrophilic nature of the SFX pads improves polish “hang timeâ€, which is the amount of buffing you can perform before your polish dries out, forcing you to stop and apply more polish. The benefit is an even and complete break down of the polishing oxides for a perfectly clear final finish.

Unlike most foam pads, which have their Velcro backing applied after the foam disk is cut, the Velcro backing is applied to the SFX foam in its sheet form during the foam manufacturing process. The lamination process creates a complete bond between the Velcro and foam that will not delaminate under the extreme stress of a high performance dual-action polisher.

SONÃœS SFX pads are very dense. They have a small, uniform cell structure that efficiently transmits energy to the polish, allowing it create a finer paint finish. Even the SFX-3 Final Finish pad is dense, whereas most final finish pads are soft and spongy. The density allows pressure to be applied to the pad, when used with a dual-action polisher, for a superior final finish.

MENTALLY ILL
10-17-2004, 12:41 PM
I never got a green pad with my order. Did the white pad replace the green one???????