PDA

View Full Version : What would U use?

das_chimera
09-22-2004, 10:32 PM
Hello Everyone, found this site last weekend and have learned allot.

I looking for some advice, I have a `97 Mustang Cobra. The paint is in good shape, some scratches and some chips in the lower front bumper. I would like to remove as many of the scratches as possible. My currently process is:

Meguiar`s Gold Class Wash

Clay bar (Clay Magic)

Meguiar`s #7

Meguiar`s #26 or Gold Class Wax

I would like it to look a little wetter maybe, but still want it to last, if that possible. I guess I most disappointed in the hood. It’s had to tell from the picture but it’s a color shift paint (Purple/Blue/Green/Gold). I was thinking of ordering the Klasse products do I need both or would the AIO & another wax/sealer be better, I have also considered the VM & S100. But there are just so many choices.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18693cobra1.jpg

JasonD
09-22-2004, 10:53 PM
:welcome

You are going to find that there are a lot of products out there that pretty much do the same thing but everyone has their preference. For some, their preference is determined by a certain look for their color car, and for others their preference is directly related to the price. These are just two examples of many factors that will come into play when deciding what products to use, and we are all here to help guide you through that process and hope that your car will be as perfect as you want it to be!

Before I begin giving my personal recommendation, how do you plan on applying these products? By hand or machine?

das_chimera
09-23-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks for the welcome JDookie,

Well I realize most this is subjective on what I want my car to look like. Right now I think it looks good but I know it could look better, but I not exactly sure what I am looking for. I definitely don’t mind spending a few bucks as long as it looks better, the best bang for my buck.

As far as application, I usually use my 10" DA buffer (Wal-Mart Special) for most of it and do all the tight spots by hand. I am considering the PC since the 10" is too big and does not have variable speed option.

I really want to take this to the next level and try to undo any damage I may have done due to my ignorance. The #7, Mike Phillips thread was very informative, for me.

Accumulator
09-23-2004, 11:20 AM
das_chimera- Welcome to Autopia! You`re right about all the choices, it can be very confusing.

The #7 won`t really *remove* any marring, it`s nonabrasive. You might look into Meg`s #80, a good product with mild abrasives that works very well by hand.

Getting rid of the marring will make the car look a lot better, and for that you need something with (mild) abrasives.

Either the VM/S100 route or the Klasse twins will work great. But if you use Klasse, do get both products. The AIO is the best possible prep for the SG.

Both VM or AIO will remove the #7, so that won`t be a (useful) part of the regimen whichever way you go. Get things as good as you can with the polishing step (e.g., the #80) before you move on to stuff like the VM/AIO.

hirosh
09-23-2004, 04:47 PM
nice cobra. i like the how the stripe on the hood and decals go together so well. :xyxthumbs

get a PC, it`ll definitely take you to the next level! polishing with a PC is much more effective at removing any defects (swirls, scratches) plus it really makes the paint shine, well, more so than by hand.

i second accumulator`s advice about adding an "abbrassive" polish, something like #80 Speed Glaze or #9 Swirl Mark Remover 2.0, and making sure the polishing step is done well. then you can top it off with the Klasse Twins, VM + S100, or maybe even the Klasse Twins + S100, or whatever you want.

good luck. :)

das_chimera
09-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, As far as the initial polish goes, I think I’ll try the #9 first. If that does not due it then go stronger to #80. Is that correct? I think I’ll give the Klasse Twins & S100 a try for a top coat.

Hirosh, Thanks for the compliment, the hood and side are painted with DuPont Chrome Illusion. It does look more impressive in person that what the pic shows. But I am trying to make it better, that why I’m here. :) Azure Blue is a great color for Stangs & not seen, at least around here, to often.

RedondoV6
09-24-2004, 03:19 AM
Nice Cobra!:bow and welcome to Autopia:D

The advice given so far is great, all I would add is to emphasize that a really nice paint finish is all about the prep work you put in, before applying the sealant or wax.

I know it is expensive, but buying a PC is a very good idea if you want the best looking shine possible. I`ve owned a couple of those big 10" store branded polishers and they do not compare well to the PC, in terms of the results you can achieve. Use a good swirl remover and final polish with your new PC and a lot of the better sealants/waxs will work just fine and look great! :D

Do yourself a favor, spend some time using the learn and search links at the top of the page. I learned so much here in the past year, the investment in time you make in reading here will definitely make an impact on how good your Cobra will look in the future!

Good luck! :)

hirosh
09-24-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by das_chimera

As far as the initial polish goes, I think I’ll try the #9 first. If that does not due it then go stronger to #80. Is that correct?

yeah, try #9 first. if not, step up to #80.

and that`s cool your hood and side are painted. i think i can see a little bit of the chrome illusion on the side.

and i like the azure blue although after joining autopia, i wish i got the black! oh well, at least mine`s is the shinest azure blue! :p