PDA

View Full Version : Newbie-which polisher/wax to start with?

cruznlv
09-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Hello,

I`ve been reading the How-to`s on this site and the recommended products, but would also like to get your recommendations.

I have an `02 Black Mercedes Coupe that has swirl marks all-over as well as some water spots. I`ve only used the Mequire`s products at your local Autozone, the pre-wax cleaner and wax (#1 and #3 in their 3 step process). I haven`t used the #2 Polish in their 3 step process because I just don`t have the physical strength and takes me forever! I`m a gal :o

I`ve pretty much used up the Meguire`s bottles and now would like to step up to some better, stronger products. I`ve read about claying and the PC, but considering I don`t have my own garage (use my parent`s) and I feel I`m not ready for that serious sort of detailing yet.

From the How-To articles and considering my situation, limitations, what do you think would be better:

1. 1Z Einszett Paint Polish, follow with 1Z Einszett Glanz Wax

OR

2. Klasse All-In-One

I really would like to try the 1Z Ultra Paint Polish, but there`s a caution about its use to be careful, so I`m a little afraid. Plus, I would have to follow that up with another Paint Polish, then wax.

I`m trying to find the best results for easiest use. Thanks for any of your input and for reading this very long post. ;)

kustomsol
09-22-2004, 11:52 AM
You need a detail equiped and detail oriented boyfriend. A lady in Las Vegas should never have to detail her own car! (Especially a black Mercedes Coupe!!!)

Accumulator
09-22-2004, 11:54 AM
cruznlv- Welcome to Autopia. Nice car.

The 1z PP sounds like a good next step. AIO is popular (and a great product) but you need something with a bit of abrasive cut to it that`s still user-friendly when used by hand. PP fits the bill.

The Ultra is good, but yeah, you`d have to follow-up with the PP. You might consider getting the Ultra and only using it on the bad spots, but I`d just get the PP and see how it does. The Glanz will make a fine Last Step Product ("LSP") for use after the PP.

Do note that some people find the PP leaves minor micromarring, especially on dark colors. Be sure to work the PP until the abrasives break down to minimize this. If it`s still a problem, you might have to follow up with 1Z`s Metallic Polish, but don`t let this scare you away from the PP.

And note that since the PP contains wax, if you`re out of time or worn out after polishing you can put off the Glanz until after the next wash.

If you don`t already have some, I`d get some good MFs. Waffle Weaves to dry with and "regular" plush ones to remove products like the PP and Glanz.

Oh, and I would seriously consider doing the claying. It`s time well spent.

Judontknow
09-22-2004, 12:17 PM
I am a newbie as well, and just yesterday I used AIO on my vehicle and found it very easy to work with. The results were fantastic.

togwt
09-22-2004, 12:23 PM
:welcome to Autopia cruznlv

"I`m just a girl" it`s been a long, long time since I`ve heard that.

Black MB Coupe, real nice car

andriver
09-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Welcome to Autopia. I agree with Accumulator. 1Z products are great by PC or hand. Also order some 1Z Lackfinish QD for maintenance.

cruznlv
09-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Thanks so much for all your tips Accumulator! I think they will prove very helpful!

Yes, I`m getting all new MF towels with the PP and Glanz. One more question, should I use foam applicator or Terry applicator for the PP and wax? And for the MF towels and applicators, would the Sonus ones recommended on this site be good?

Thanks for your input Judontknow!

Thanks for the welcome TOGWT! You spend most of your days in Florida or London?

Accumulator
09-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by cruznlv

... I`m getting all new MF towels with the PP and Glanz. One more question, should I use foam applicator or Terry applicator for the PP and wax? And for the MF towels and applicators, would the Sonus ones recommended on this site be good?

I`d only use terry for the worst areas, and be prepared to follow up with another pass using foam. Terry often causes micro marring (and sometimes it`s not so micro). Foam and MF are much less likely to cause such marring, but sometimes the added abrasion of the terry is just what you need.

I can`t really comment on the Sonus MF as I haven`t tried those products. But generally, Sonus products are well thought of.

FWIW, I got most of my WW MFs from Ian at AutoFiber and David at the Autopia store. I got most of my plush MFs from YoSteve (http://www.yosteveshop.homestead.com/mt.html) but it`s not like the others discussed here are inferior.

svanderbilt
09-22-2004, 08:39 PM
Might I make a suggestion?

Why not Menzerna. It`s what is supposedly used on the Mercedes assembly line.

Howsabout Menzerna Intensive Polish and/or Final Polish

Klasse All-In-One and...

Klasse Sealant Glaze or

Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket

Maybe sticking with German products will make your German paint a little happier.

I have an Audi and I used this big `ol pad from Proper Auto Care which is supposed to be used on the Mercedes assembly lines

http://store1.yimg.com/I/classic-motoring_1803_114104

I then applied Klasse All-In-One with a Surbuf pad.

I then applied 3 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze by hand.

Regular quick detailing with Sonus Acrylic Spritz.

Scottwax
09-22-2004, 11:14 PM
Some of Meguiars Pro Mirror Glaze line works very well by hand. #80 Speed Glaze, #82 Swirl Free are both excellent products and very easy to use. I haven`t had micromarring problems with either when used by hand.