PDA

View Full Version : Convince me to buy a rotary!!

Pages : [1] 2

airjames
09-22-2004, 12:19 AM
Ok, Lately I`ve detailed a few cars and honestly I can say I do not like the PC. I don`t see how it makes things faster and easier and after awhile it starts to get heavy when polishing the sides of a vehicle. Just to polish alone, it takes me about 4-5 hours not including Mountain Dew breaks.

So I`m sick of taking all friggin day just to detail the outside of a car and for me, the end result is not even remotely close to my efforts. I would like to see some before/after pics of vehicles used with a rotary on them. Thank you,,,,,,91

vdog0531
09-22-2004, 01:09 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/vdog0531/MVC-327S.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v490/vdog0531/MVC-331S.jpg

i love my rotary but i also usually finish up my buff`s with my PC to ensure perfection. here is the URL to the post i made about this particular detail. my rotary is the Makita 9227.

link (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=44140)

good luck.

Vernon

EdLancer
09-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey, I see rotary holograms or swirls on the fender !

svanderbilt
09-22-2004, 01:55 AM
Maybe you need to be doing more bicep/tricep curls? Kidding.

I`m a wimp and I`ve never gotten tired of the weight from the PC. I love my PC. It`s not for major defect removal. But it hauls *** on minor swirls/imperfections, and applies/removes sealants/waxes/glazes in a fraction of the time it`d take to do by hand. And I do get tired doing it all by hand!

A rotary is primarily to get out major paint defects. But your everyday detailing is easily handled by the PC. And when doing hardcore rotary stuff, you`re still going to have to follow it up with a finer pad with a finer polish with your rotary, or with the PC.

Maybe you need a Makita BO6040 that will do rotary and random orbit duty. Or if you don`t think you need the power of a rotary, but still want something with more random orbit power, perhaps a Cyclo?

stevet
09-22-2004, 03:30 AM
Yeah you can do your details faster with a rotary. You can also destroy your paint job very quickly if you don`t know how to use one.

TechSol
09-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Not only should you buy a rotary, but you should buy MY rotary since I`m not ready for it yet and I need a PC. (hmm both in OH, how about rotary for PC trade + I`ll throw in cash b/c my rotary isn`t too expensive? ;-)

wifehatescar
09-22-2004, 10:14 AM
After 2 hours of the rotary on the sides of a car, the PC feels light!:xyxthumbs :D

Accumulator
09-22-2004, 11:36 AM
Yeah, the rotary always seems like more of a workout even if it does do the work faster. For that matter, the Cyclo is also heavier than the PC, but I find it incomparably more pleasant to use. It`s sorta in between the PC and the rotary... as Beau said, maybe you oughta look into one of those. They show up used on Ebay from time to time. I agree that trying to do major correction with the PC is a royal pain....

Bill D
09-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Cyclo= :up

My latest toy and completion of the detailing trio: PC, Cyclo, rotary.

Do some research online and you`ll come across a good deal.

svanderbilt
09-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Bill, tell me when you`d bust out the Cyclo instead of the PC, or PC instead of the Cyclo. Talk me into buying one of these, is what I`m really saying.

Bill D
09-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Beau,

You have an A4 also right? I`m sure you know what a huge PITA Audi paint can be to polish ,even the slightest defect can be a huge job ( once spent 45 mins straight on ONE light scratch using the PC :eek:)

The Cyclo is still safe just more aggressive. I havn`t had the need for extensive polishing on the Audi lately but the Cyclo made a nice job of polishing that `Vette.

The PC, well, now I suppose I`d reserve it for places like door arches and spots too tight for the dual heads of the Cyclo to fit in.

My take on it so far is that it is a bit more effective than a PC when the situation really doesn`t need the rotary quite yet, following the least aggressive method first philosophy.

I`m betting that the Cyclo would be the most aggressive machine for overly obsessive Autopians with newer cars :xyxthumbs

svanderbilt
09-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Damn Bill, I`m glad I`m not alone in thinking that this Audi paint doesn`t give in easily.

I have 2 major problems and I can`t figure out what to do. I`ll try to post pics later.

So anyway, I`m torn between the Makita BO6040, 9227C, Cyclo and Dewalt 849.

The Makita BO6040 has that random orbit plus random orbit with forced rotation, which is like a wimpy rotary.

I like the speed detent control on the Dewalt. I like the Makita 9227C`s big motor and light weight. I like the "PC on steroids" power, and novelty factor of the Cyclo.

http://image.inkfrog.com/pix/saintelvis/audi1.jpg

airjames
09-22-2004, 02:57 PM
Hey,

Nice Pics!! T-bird and Audi! I understand that the risk of harming paint can be a high risk but I`m willing to take those chances because the results are worth it, IMO. Thanks,,,,,91

Accumulator
09-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Beau- I`d do some research (i.e., searching) on the BO6040. It`s not something *I* would want, based on what others have posted.

The speed dial on the Makita isn`t the pain you might think. It becomes second nature by the end of the first or second job.

I myself would rather have the Cyclo than a rotary if I had to choose between them. I use the Cyclo *WAY* more often than the Makita, no comparison. It`s my favorite detailing tool and gets used on almost every job from compounding to paste waxing. Only time I use a PC is if the Cyclo won`t fit (as Bill D said) or for Klasse AIO (the Cyclo flashes it a bit too fast, making removal harder). Only time I use the Makita is if the Cyclo won`t (literally) cut it.

But plenty of other people wouldn`t be without a rotary, so give it some thought and see what`s right for you.

svanderbilt
09-22-2004, 03:32 PM
I feel I might be leaning towards a Cyclo and a 9227C...