PDA

View Full Version : "newbie" PC questions---HELP!

HarleyMB41
09-21-2004, 12:52 PM
I finally purchased a PC 7424 "kit" from Coastal Tool.

The kit included a 6" velcro flexible backing plate (#18002) and 6" counterweight, seen in this link:

http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/SoftCart.exe/a/port/pads.htm?L+coastest+zrnr8725fff6fbf6+1095853850

Since I`ve never used a PC before, and have the 6.5" Lake Country pads on order, do I HAVE to switch to the 6" counterweight INSTEAD of the 5" (as stated on this site), or is it simply a matter of personal preference / tolerance of vibration??

Is it really going to make a BIG difference in the actual results, or just a matter of my hand "going to sleep" while using it??

And, my next questions:

1) Although I have ordered some Lake Country pads to use with the flexible velcro backing plate (white pads for polishes, like Sonus Paintwork Cleanser or 1Z Metallic, and grey for Klasse AIO and Klasse SG), does anybody use the enclosed original 6" foam-backed pad that is included with the PC?? Could one put the Lake Country pads OVER that foam pad, or would it not "stick" like the velcro-backed plate??

2)If so, would it be most appropriate for applying a Klasse product (perhaps SG??), or maybe P21s Carnauba as a final "topper"??

3) And when using a "new" pad, is it always advisable to "mist" it with either distilled water, or a QD spray BEFORE applying the polish or wax product??

Sorry for all the "little detail" questions, but I want to take FULL advantage of this machine, and hopefully my arms (and my eyes!) can appreciate the finished product!!

Thanks in advance for the input and advice...

Harley

Bobby G
09-21-2004, 01:12 PM
Harley,

You won`t experience any difference in results by changing the weight. The weight simply dampens vibrations. In my testing, the weight has very little impact on most machines. We have replaced a couple PCs for excessive vibration, but this is rare. If you use a heavy 6" backing plate and a large pad, like the the Lake Country Tufted Foam Pads, the alternate counter weight will cut down on some of the vibration.

Most common questions about the PC are answered here: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

Regarding product application, every product is a bit different, and it will be a good learning experience to do some experimenting. Klasse AIO is very easy with a foam polishing pad. Klasse Sealant Glaze is best applies with a bonnet.

db