PDA

View Full Version : New Black Car Detail Question

Thmn26
09-21-2004, 10:18 AM
2 weeks ago I bought a brand new Audi S4 in Brilliant Black. I want to give it a good detail before the snow starts falling here. I typically buy silver cars and have been pleased with my results using clay bar, Meguiars #7 Showcar Glaze, and then sealed up with Meguiars #27 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax. However, my black paint is all ready showing some light swirling in two places, damn lot boys. So I really want to seal up this paint job before it gets any worse. Any suggestions on products to use for this purpose are greatly appreciated. I have seen 1Z, Klasse, Menzerna, and P21S all mentioned. I would appreciate any guidance. I will be using a PC dual action polisher.

JasonD
09-21-2004, 10:28 AM
Here`s my favorite for black:

1ZPP - polishing pad (maybe cutting pad on REALLY bad areas, if you have some, followed by polishing pad)

1ZMP - polishing pad (green Sonus pad)

AIO - finishing pad (blue Sonus pad)

SG x 2 - applied with finishing pad (grey Sonus pad) /removed by hand (SG is hard for me to work with down here but it should work great for you, awesome durability for the winter)

Souveran x 2 - by hand (or P21S since you already have it)

Accumulator
09-21-2004, 11:27 AM
THMN26- Welcome Ato Autopia!

Audis are tough, very hard clear (we currently have two and I`ve had maybe a dozen others).

Skip the #7 for this one, it just sits on top of the clear and AIO would remove it anyhow.

The 1z PP *might* be strong enough for your marring, but I usually have to use their Ultra for the worst of it, and even that is iffy without a rotary depending on how bad things are. As I said, Audis are tough.

Another option that works well is 3M`s PI-III RC (pn 05933) - don`t worry, it`s milder than it sounds ;) followed by PI-III Mg (pn 05937).

I prefer how 4-Star UPP looks and slickness (keeps the marring down), but KSG is unbeatable for protection if you layer on a few applications. Zaino might be a bit unforgiving if you miss any marring. IMO P21s is over-rated and if you wanted a "beauty wax" Souveran looks better on black (again, just IMO).

In any event, I`d use something that provides more protection than the #26. You don`t want to be polishing out an Audi very often.

Oh, and check out my "Non-marring Wash Technique" in the HOF, I developed it for my "good" Audi, which I only have to polish every few years (if I can keep other people away from it).

JasonD
09-21-2004, 11:31 AM
HOF? What`s that?

Accumulator
09-21-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by JDookie

HOF? What`s that?

The Hall of Fame forum. HERE`S (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35232) the link to my wash method. I keep tweaking it, but this will give the general idea. It *is* possible to wash a car without marring it.