PDA

View Full Version : I need recommendations on an "easy" polish before AIO on new paint

T. Perinne
09-20-2004, 08:51 PM
There are some very fine scratches on my new black paint, it was wetsanded and buffed but I believe the paint was extremely soft - a finger nail lightly passed across the finish left a scratch. I will let the paint cure completely before AIO and Souveran - but I know the AIO won`t remove those ligth scratches. Can I get some product recommendations for a polish that can get rid of the scratches but is VERY gentle for new paint? Again, this is for when I`m positive the paint has cured and hardened... Thanks!

ZaneO
09-20-2004, 09:17 PM
Menzerna FP or Poorboy`s SSR 1.

imported_BretFraz
09-20-2004, 09:29 PM
I think this will take some experimentation before knowing what to use. I`ve detailed show cars and show bikes that had the kind of soft paint you described and even the mildest polishes marred the paint noticeably.

I wouldn`t make any assumptions here nor would I just use any ol polish. You`ll need to try a few and alter your technique to find the best results. I`d even try AIO as the polish and see what it does.

Also be careful with your app. I`ll bet a terry cloth app will mar the paint all by itself. Test the dry app alone on the paint before polishing.

If I were to offer a guess I`d say ANY polish will mar the paint. I`d skip polishes altogether and just use a glaze and go right to wax. If AIO doesn`t mar the paint, great. If it does, skip it.

T. Perinne
09-20-2004, 09:38 PM
bretfraz - I should have let you type my post, you really put into words what I was thinking. I don`t want to add new scratches using a polish containing addrasives. If I use a polish using fillers, the AIO will just remove them. I think the less I touch the paint, the better. I`ll just try AIO first and see what happens, then I`ll progressively get more aggressive. I just needed ideas as to what polishes had the "easiest" abbrasives.

Menzerna FP was my best guess through searching, I like its descriptions a lot but I don`t have it and I`ve never used it.

I will be applying everything by hand, I don`t have a PC.

I do own the Pinnacle swirl removers, the Swirl Remover may be a good tr, but again - only if AIO and Souveran don`t take care of the swirls the first time around.

I hope is that the paint will harden as it sures and a fine polish won`t leave swirls behind...

usdm
09-20-2004, 10:00 PM
Hide the scratch for now with some glaze- IHG, FTG, or any other bodyshop- safe glaze will do good.

After the paint does cure, all the polishes mentioned will offer

good cleanup. Personally though, I`ve found that FPII does a really good job of cleaning up those minor scratches, and can be done with a few passes with a polish pad on a d/a. Also, I have fund that FPII is the most compatible polish to use with AIO, while SSR1 is much more compatible with the PB and Clearkote stuff. Just be sure that if you do plan to use FPII, you might want to just do the whole car, just to make everything even. The gloss that FPII produces really does stand out.

s2skimon
09-21-2004, 01:50 PM
ssr1 maybe ?

T. Perinne
09-21-2004, 02:00 PM
SSR1 is my preffered choice after today`s research... FPII seems to be too "machine only" for my taste, despite the outstanding results I`ve read about. PB`s seems to be friendly towards hand application and almost as many people rave about the SSR`s...

Hopefully PB`s SSR1 doesn`t leave anything behind (such as fillers) to interfere with the AIO, I don`t want to have to use more AIO cause of polish residue.

Thanks for the help so far!

Gonzo
09-21-2004, 04:17 PM
FWIW: 1Z Metallic Polish is very mild and some here have used it by hand.