PDA

View Full Version : Janvil glass polish review.

acohen100
09-20-2004, 02:55 PM
I tried out a sample of this at the recommendation of some folks here a while back and promised a review. I finally got my garage set up and did it right. I applied this both by hand and by PC. Once just outside in warm weather the other time using a hair dryer to heat up the glass first.

Conclusions:

1.) It will not get out scratches at all...even very superficial ones.

2.) It is so/so at getting out scuffs or minor surface imperfections but requires a TON of elbow grease and numerous applications.

3.) No difference applied by hand or PC.

4.) You must use some heating device to get it to work at all - it does not work just applying it in normal warm weather (as they recommend).

That`s it. Might get out some minor scuffs or abrasions. For scratches don`t waste your time and money. I applied it to a very minor, superficial scratch about 15 times and it looks exactly the same as it did before. Very disappointing.

imported_edschwab1
09-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Thans for the review.

Which Janvil product did you use?

Do you think this would remove water mark etchings?

What kind of scratches were trying to remove?

Eric

acohen100
09-24-2004, 12:14 PM
I was using their "Scratch Remover" product as opposed to their "glass renew" or "glass glow" which are less abrasive.

I believe that it would get out water marks.

The scratches were very superficial and linear - did not "catch the fingernail." They were almost like swirl depth.

imported_edschwab1
09-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Thanks.

Eric

johnvdub
11-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey buddy,

I was debating on whether to try out the product or not on my rear window on a circular scratch ( no fingernail catch ) but I guess I`ll save my money now.

Thanks alot for your advice ...

What can I use now to try to remove ? or should I just change window ( it`s frustrating because I see the scratch in my rear view mirrow every time

Let me know

John

Eliot Ness
11-07-2004, 06:12 PM
You can try a product from Eastwood:

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=2010&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=glass+scratch

You may be better off calling two or three glass shops and see what they`d charge to do it right. Correctly removing anything but very minor marks from glass is not an easy task for an amateur.

Scottwax
11-07-2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks for the review. Never heard of the product, guess it doesn`t matter much now.

SilverLexus
11-08-2004, 08:29 AM
I have had tremendous luck with the AutoGlym glass polish-cleared the wife`s car up nicely. I may try some 1Z polish soon.

Scotch
10-18-2005, 10:13 AM
A couple weeks back, I ran across a post about scratch removal in glass. I clicked on the posted link and I was assaulted by select pop up ads on the sidebar. Normally i pay about as much attention to them as zero, but this time something caught my eye about

scratch removal from glass so I checked it out. The company is Janvil out of Cartersvile GA , not to be confused with Jan-Al the road case folks out of LA. (I used to be a roadie/soundguy) So I bought a starter scratch removal kit which I received today, specifically for use with a 5/8-11 buffer vs. the kit they make for use w/an electric drill. It

includes a heavy cutting paste and a lighter compound, plus pads, backing pads with the 5/8-11 arbor size, and some other spray goodies and sundry items all delivered for the not-paltry sum of about $100. So I slapped the heavy-duty on my cheapo Chicago-brand Harbor Freight $40 buffer which ain`t like the old man`s nice Makita but cost me 1/4 the digits, and I doubt I`ll go through four of them before I`d go through 1 Makita, so ***. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the cutting compound got into the heavy scratches, and I`ll be damned if the "pro performance polishing compound" didn`t do a number on the rest of the small stuff. Mind you, this stuff only claims to get scratches 4/1000`s

of an inch deep out of glass but I`d say it`ll do better if you`re patient and play with the variable speeds a little. It left some swirling which came out great with the Glass Renew compound which came with it, although I think they claim it should be used first. Plus the

glass glow spray really brightened up the final results. Not too bad of stuff-If you`ve got some scratches right where you have to look all the time and hate to see them this stuff will likely do the trick. And I think you can get a cheaper starter setup for about $60. (I got the extra big tubs-o-compound for the starter size pack plus the bonus pads- for the special price!)

I can`t see the glass renew by itself removing scratches without a lot of work. But then again, who would buy a spot remover from a company and except it to remove a deep scratch in tempered glass. You have to use the right tool for the job.

acohen100 was using the wrong product for the application. Even the manufacture will tell you it is the wrong product. Using is would be like installing a screw with a hammer.