PDA

View Full Version : How do you clean satellite navigation screens?

Pages : [1] 2

SilverLexus
09-20-2004, 02:14 PM
I wonder if anyone has run into this problem before. I assume it may similar to the screen on a laptop computer (IBM recommends 1:1 mixture of isopropyl alcohol to water for my ThinkPad).

Any pro detailers out there run into this issue as sat nav has taken off?

Thanks for the advice.

GoodnClean
09-20-2004, 03:42 PM
I use Plexus ;)

SilverLexus
09-20-2004, 03:58 PM
I did not think of that....some people at Detail City are recommending an LCD screen cleaner from Kensington, the maker computer products.

Plexus and MF may be a good solution....hmmmm...

jfelbab
09-20-2004, 04:06 PM
This product is great.

http://www.klearscreen.com/

l33
09-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Monster Screen Clean

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2350

This is excellent stuff, I got it at CompUSA. I went to find a screen cleaner for my laptop, the salesman showed me this and it came with a MF so i figured i had to try. It cleaned EVERY little finger print, streaks from other cleaner, dust, etc.. off my screen. It looked brand new, i absolutely love this stuff. I wouldn`t clean an LCD with glass cleaner. I`ve tried a bunch of wipes and sprays out there, this is my favorite.

Peter Crowl
09-20-2004, 07:44 PM
I can tell you what not to use...PC Quick Wipes.

Tried them on our laptop screens and they were awful.

Peter...who in not interested in smearing his screens..in Denver

Spilchy
09-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Water and a plush MF.

The MF polishes up all sorts of stuff on its own without the aid of cleaners.

The water, 100% safe helps lift dust, dirt and splatters from coffee or soda.

Works for me every time and I have no fears of damaging the LCD.

togwt
09-21-2004, 09:38 AM
~One mans opinion / observations~

The screen is highly static and tends to attract dust like a magnet; so do not attempt to remove dust with a dry cloth. Use a 100% cotton towel and electronics `safe` anti-static cleaner (Kiwi Brands Endust) also works well on both computer monitors and television screens.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

jfelbab
09-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

~One mans opinion / observations~

The screen is highly static and tends to attract dust like a magnet; so do not attempt to remove dust with a dry cloth. Use a 100% cotton towel and electronics `safe` anti-static cleaner (Kiwi Brands Endust) also works well on both computer monitors and television screens.

~Hope this helps~

Knowledge unshared is experience wasted

justadumbarchitect / so I question everything/ Jon

Hence my recommendation for KleerScreen. This stuff is perfect for the vehicle. It actually resists fingerprints and repels dust. Best stuff I`ve used to date.

Klear Screen contains a unique 3-step liquid polymer-based formula that LIFTS and DISSOLVES surface contaminants and fingerprints, floating debris off the screen surface, leaving an ANTI-STATIC coating which dramatically reduces surface friction & wear, resists fingerprinting and provides a renewable protective screen barrier. _

SilverLexus
09-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Jim,

I got some Klear Screen iKlear Apple Polish Singles at the local Apple store. Cleaned the laptop and the nav screen - looks great so far. Thanks for the recommendation. :xyxthumbs

They also had the Monster iClean solution which comes with a MF towel, but the iKlear seemed safer the way they described it and the Monster solution did not specify LCD screens for some reason.

The Apple guys like both products however.

ALAN81
09-21-2004, 01:53 PM
At Costco I buy BAUSCH & LOMB pre moistened lens cleaning tissue 100 for $6.00 inv wrapped............................For glasses computer screens magnifers ect I have been using it for 3 years.works great

sgo
09-21-2004, 01:56 PM
I`ve used Brillianize which works very well, but then I switched over to 303 Protectant because I had it anyway. My TV screen doesn`t attract dust anymore. I use it on everything, eye glasses, TV, Monitor, cell phone, pda, laptop, window film, ad infinitum.

Oh yeah, and I use only MF towels.

GoodnClean
09-21-2004, 02:48 PM
I`ll have to try that KleerScreen stuff, the Plexus doesn`t resist fingerprints very well.

Mmmph
09-21-2004, 03:11 PM
ClearKote Quik Shine...Leaves it static free and helps prevent fingerprint smudges.

1Z Cockpit Premium provides similar results, sans fingerprint prevention.

PAW
09-21-2004, 03:58 PM
Bec areful what you clean the screens with. Many of them have antiglare coating. Repeated use of the wrong product can remove that. Then it`s $$$ to replace. When in doubt, take a peek at the owner`s manual. My Acura came with a microfiber cloth. I also use a damp MF towel followed with a dry MF towel.