PDA

View Full Version : 1940 Chevy Street Rod

Eliot Ness
09-19-2004, 07:33 PM
Note: Pictures are in the post following this one.

Saturday I decided to redo the wax on my 1940 Chevy street rod. I have always kept it in pretty good condition by washing and waxing, but never really gave it an Autopian “make overâ€. I’d like to thank all the members who post info on these forums and gave me plenty of ideas.

I first washed and then clayed it, the clay helped get rid of some overspray from when I repainted my engine compartment a while back. I then planned to use Megs #80 on it, but wound up using #83 DACP instead. I used it mostly on a polish pad, but did use an orange pad in spots. Where I used the orange pad I went over it again with a polish pad. I was going to use #80 next, but the paint was looking pretty good, I had worked the DACP until it dusted up and with the polish pad it came out looking pretty nice. The DACP cleaned up my paint, some swirls and I was able to get out some scratches and a small etch from some bird sh*t on my hood. I wasn’t able to get everything perfect, but it wasn’t looking too bad.

I then applied VM with a finish pad on everything except the tires and wheels. I did the whole car then buffed it with a MF. I really like this stuff, it goes on easy and comes off easy.

I then put on a coat of EX-P by hand with a foam pad slightly moistened with distilled water. This stuff is pretty thick, and I’ve read to apply it in very thin coats, so I did the best I could. It would have been much easier to use a pad with a handle (that’ll be my next order). I remoistened the foam pad for each panel. Once again I did the whole car before buffing it off by hand with a MF towel. I then buffed it again with a MF bonnet over a foam pad to make sure I didn’t miss any spots (by this time I was getting tired!).

At this time the car looked pretty good, it was very slick and had a nice wet look to it, also very reflective. I took some before/after pictures, but I was using the cameras internal memory instead of the memory card, and when I tried to transfer them they somehow got deleted. That’s what I get for hardly ever using this camera. Oh, and all of the above took about 8 hours. I’m not as fast as a lot of you guys, and the DACP took a bit longer than I expected.

Today I put on a 2nd coat of EX-P for added protection. This car is a driver and I’m heading up to the James Dean and Ducktail run in Indiana next week so I want some protection from the bugs I’m gonna be collecting during those 300 odd miles. This time I used my PC with a finish pad (misted with water on about every 3rd panel), then just buffed it off by hand with a MF. I used the PC to apply it this time because I think I get a thinner coat on it that way.

Following are some pictures. I think the car looks fairly slick, reflective and wet. My next step is to put on some paste Souveran tomorrow. I’ve never used it before (and never thought I’d ever pay that much for a wax!), but the car is red and I’m anxious to see if it improves on this look. I’ll be taking my wash supplies to Indiana with me and will probably put another coat of Souveran on after I wash off all the bugs and road film. If the Souveran makes a big enough improvement that it shows up in a picture then I’ll post a few of those Monday night.

Let me know what you all think. And once again thanks for all the tips and info you guys/girls post, it has really sped up my learning curve!

Eliot Ness
09-19-2004, 07:37 PM
Here are a couple of pics after DACP, VM, and EX-P x2:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18318front_and_side.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/18318side2.jpg

MattZ28
09-19-2004, 07:47 PM
My god that thing is beautiful.

MongooseGA
09-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

TN9thSi
09-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Tha`s one beautiful Chevy. Great job on the detail.

imported_perry
09-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

Today I put on a 2nd coat of EX-P for added protection. This car is a driver and I’m heading up to the James Dean and Ducktail run in Indiana next week so I want some protection from the bugs I’m gonna be collecting during those 300 odd miles.

I guess you`ll have it in the park? I`ll probably be there on Saturday admiring all the cars, I`ll try to keep my eye peeled for yours :cool: I`m just down the road from Fairmont in Muncie.

Eliot Ness
09-20-2004, 06:46 PM
Thanks MattZ28 and TnM6i

Perry: Yes, we’ll be at the Ducktail Run (Gas City) most of the time. I’m also registered for James Dean, so we usually cruise down there one afternoon to look at all the customs and go through the swap meet. These are probably my two favorite shows of the year, lots of nice cars always show up at both of the meets, and the park at Gas City is a great place to hold the show.

imported_perry
09-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Wow, didn`t know there was a show in Gas City too! I`ll have to check that one out too!

Gosh, Google tells me there is even a show right here in Muncie. I`m going to be overwhelmed!

Eliot Ness
09-20-2004, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by perry

Wow, didn`t know there was a show in Gas City too! I`ll have to check that one out too!

Gosh, Google tells me there is even a show right here in Muncie. I`m going to be overwhelmed!

Don`t know about the show in Muncie. The Rebel Run used to be held the same days as the Ducktail and James Dean Runs, and it used to be in Muncie.... It was pretty cool having three runs to cruise between. The Rebel Run is now held the weekend prior and has moved to Lima, OH. I hear it`s a pretty nice show again.

I`m not sure about James Dean, but the Ducktail allows spectators in free.

imported_perry
09-21-2004, 12:07 AM
Must be an old page (http://www.cruise-in.com/resource/event9.htm) I saw :nixweiss Two shows will give me plenty to look at!

Spectators are free at the Dean show.. at least the past 2 or 3 years I`ve been. I love seein all the Mercs right up front there.

There`s a new James Dean museum on I69 in Gas City.. sits right off the interstate.

Scottwax
09-21-2004, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by MattZ28

Werd. Not much else I can add to that!

Cars had so much style back then before wind tunnels were used to help design cars.

Eliot Ness
09-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by perry

Must be an old page (http://www.cruise-in.com/resource/event9.htm) I saw :nixweiss Two shows will give me plenty to look at!

Spectators are free at the Dean show.. at least the past 2 or 3 years I`ve been. I love seein all the Mercs right up front there.

There`s a new James Dean museum on I69 in Gas City.. sits right off the interstate.

Yeah, that`s an old listing, the Rebel Run was this past weekend in Lima, OH. I think this was its’ third year there.

The Merc`s and customs at James Dean are something to see aren`t they. The cars at the Ducktail are a bit more diverse than what you see at James Dean. There’s more in the way of street rods, 55-57 Chevy’s, muscle cars, etc. There are Merc’s and customs there also, just not as many as at James Dean. You’ll see a little bit of everything there, last year I even saw two Boat Tail Auburns cruisin’ through.

A little bit of trivia, James Dean is buried in a little cemetery between Fairmont and Gas City and people leave all kinds of things at his grave site; cigarettes, money, flowers, etc. The grounds keeper there once told us they have to replace his tombstone on a regular basis because people steal it.

imported_perry
09-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Maybe I`ll check out Ducktail instead of Dean this year :nixweiss I`ve recognized some of the cars from year to year at Dean, so a change of scenery would be cool. I can only do Saturday, so I`d have to rush through both of em.. would probably be better to take my time going through just one show. I`ll keep my eye peeled for ya :xyxthumbs

Dean`s grave sounds like Jimi Hendrix`s in Paris, except the folks in Paris trash about the entire cemetary. Spray paint on other tombstones "Jimi --->".. more and more as you get closer to his grave. The area around his grave seemed really trashy. Pretty sad really :(