PDA

View Full Version : Clay, Swirl, and Zaino Question

RuralCRNA
09-18-2004, 06:45 PM
I recently purchased a 1993 Cobra with 20K miles on it. It has been taking very well care of. Paint looks nice and has been buffed at some point (saw some compound under one of the lights). I decided too clay it and I kind of hazed it in few spots. Also the car has a few swirls from washing. I use the Zaino Z-5 and honestly wasn`t that impressed. It did not give that "mile deep" shine as it says. I put on two coats even. It still looked the same. I am kind of critical when it comes to critiquing products. I was wondering what I could use to actually help remove the haze and swirls from the car. I would prefer not to use a machine to do this. I am looking for recommendations on a hand used swirl remover so then I could use the Z-5 and Z-2 to seal up the car. Also, I am open to any suggestions on other high quality sealants. Thanks_Ryan

01bluecls
09-18-2004, 07:22 PM
Poorboys SSR2.5 is my suggestion. User friendly by machine or hand.

Menzerna is great but is meant to be used with machine.

1Z has filler and oils that will interfere with Zaino bonding.

If you do decide to use 1Z do a 50/50 iso Alcohol wipe after you are done to make sure you remove all the oils.

For 1Z i recommend Ultra Paint Polish and/or Paint polish depending on your swirls.

Hope this helps.

RedondoV6
09-18-2004, 08:41 PM
Great advice from 01bluecls! PB`s SSR2.5 maybe followed by SSR1 or Menzerna IP followed by FPII. Both are formulated with no fillers so there is no need for an 50/50 water/IPA wipe down, you can go straight to the applying Zaino.

Other Autopians also recommend 1Z and 3M which work very well. Use the search option and read up on different reviews and opinions.

Good luck!

RuralCRNA
09-20-2004, 11:14 PM
I have been researching the ssr2.5 and ssr1. I think I am going to order them. I have noticed that people have been using different pads when they use a machine. What about for the hand application? Does it require a special applicator or is a MF alright to use? Also, are there any deals out there on the PB products? Thanks for the help!!