PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Remove Wax On and Around Part #`s At Headlights and Tail Lights

jimmybob curtrock
09-18-2004, 08:16 AM
What is the Easiest Way to Remove that Annoying Wax around the Part Numbers on the Tail Lights?

Detail Spray and Brush?

What Kind and Where Do I get them?

Thanks

Autoeng
09-18-2004, 08:30 AM
I just grab an old toothbrush but on taillights or plastic headlight covers you do stand a chance of scratching so some detailing spray would definately lessen the chance.

hopsgt500
09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Wurth Rubber Care works really well for this.

"Protects rubber from getting brittle, sticking or freezing. Lifts wax deposits from rubber,plastic,trim ,bumpers,etc..will not harm paint , contains no silicone"

http://store1.yimg.com/I/autogeek_1810_6382121

imported_mirrorfinishman
09-18-2004, 10:03 AM
To remove the wax buildup around the part numbers on tail lights, try using a wet toothbrush while you are washing your car. Adding a little car wash soap to the brush will also help to lubricate the brush and reduce the chance of causing any fine scratches.

imported_Lawdog
09-18-2004, 10:07 AM
Where do you get the Wurth`s rubber care. I don`t remember seeing it anywhere(but then again I wasn`t looking for it)

hopsgt500
09-18-2004, 10:25 AM
www.autogeek.net

www.autopia-carcare.com

www.carcrazy.net

:xyxthumbs

they all carry it.

its one of those products that you don`t use alot but comes ready handy when you need it.

Accumulator
09-18-2004, 12:21 PM
Accumulator`s broken record: I don`t know how anybody can touch anything like plastic lenses or paint with a tootbrush without marring it :confused: Whenever I tried this, even with *very* soft ones (the "extra soft" models that are well used and feel OK), a quick look under good lighting with a little magnification showed marring, and I was being so gentle that I didn`t even get the wax off. And yeah, I`ve lubricated the brush/lens with shampoo, QD, you name it. Even BHBs (and horse hair) can mar if you "scrub" with them. Light, "micro" marring perhaps, but the end result is an imperfect surface that refracts light, rather than reflecting it. Then you gotta polish them, which can start the whole thing all over again unless you get all the polish off.

To remove the residue, I use sharpened wooden sticks (toothpicks/swab sticks) and cotton wadding (from the Q-tips or womens makeup balls), with Meg`s #34 or something similar. Use the wooden stick to work the cotton so that only the cotton actually touches the lens. Doing this under magnification can be a big help and it can take quite a while.

Or just use something like a plastic cleaner/polish, Pinnacle PCL, or AIO with a MF, and use it sparingly enough that you doesn`t leave any behind in the lettering. A very plush MF helps get into the tight corners of the lettering.

Clay can work too.

Heh heh, then redo them with something that doesn`t leave so much residue, like UPP or KSG.

I like the Wurth Rubber Care, but I don`t use it for this job.

NavindraLR
09-18-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Accumulator`s broken record: I don`t know how anybody can touch anything like plastic lenses or paint with a tootbrush without marring it :confused: Whenever I tried this, even with *very* soft ones (the "extra soft" models that are well used and feel OK), a quick look under good lighting with a little magnification showed marring, and I was being so gentle that I didn`t even get the wax off. And yeah, I`ve lubricated the brush/lens with shampoo, QD, you name it. Even BHBs (and horse hair) can mar if you "scrub" with them. Light, "micro" marring perhaps, but the end result is an imperfect surface that refracts light, rather than reflecting it. Then you gotta polish them, which can start the whole thing all over again unless you get all the polish off.

i know exaclty what you`re talkin about... its surprising how the softest things will still mar/scratch the paint.. even toothbrushes :nixweiss

Accumulator
09-18-2004, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by NavindraLR

... its surprising how the softest things will still mar/scratch the paint.. even toothbrushes :nixweiss

Yeah, I tell people to consider paint/etc. to be about as sensitive as the surface of their eyeballs...that seems to get my opinion on the matter across :D And the body can heal, paint doesn`t.