PDA

View Full Version : Pakshak MF Towels

wvs16
09-18-2004, 06:31 AM
Hi. New member here.

I noticed that Pakshak seems to be the consensus favorite for MF towels. Just went to their website to get them. They have 2 types...Terry Ultra ($4-5 ea) and Terry Ultra Fine ($8 each).

I am waxing using Souveran.

I think that the 1st type for the removal of the wax and the second type for a final buff.

Which do you use and how? Which type would you get?

Pats300zx
09-18-2004, 07:01 AM
I just received some of the Pakshak white ultra MF towels and I love them. They are my new towel for QDing. I have some of the Yellow Ultra and they are slightly larger than the white and tend to "grab" the surface more.

The yellows would be great for polish or wax removal.

Either way you can`t go wrong with Pakshak products.

Ranney does offer an Autopia discount. I would be sure to mention that you are a forum member when you order.

ALAN81
09-18-2004, 07:31 AM
Souveran is a easy on easy off product so any soft MF towel you use from PAK will work fine.Its when you have products that don`t come off so easy that you have to decide what towel toy use

jvcn
09-18-2004, 09:54 AM
My email has been behaving weirdly so they may not have gotten through, but I twice sent Pakshak emails asking what the Autopia disounts were and I got no answers.

Anyway, I ended up buying my MFs from JT Intern and Winner`s Circle.

Are the PakShak really so much better?

JasonD
09-18-2004, 10:46 AM
IMHO, I think they are all the same. It`s kind of like Lake Country pads. LC makes them but everyone puts their name on them. Most of the mf`s come from Korea and are almost identical, other than color. You do the math. My choices are based on weight, size, and price.........almost like women! :shocked Sorry, that was off color, but I couldn`t help myself. :wall

imported_The Uncle
09-20-2004, 01:44 PM
I just bought some pakshak towels myself (the ultra towels). I also have a slew of the microfiber towels you get at Costco, as well as some from autofiber.com. I was very happy with the price and service from both autofiber and pakshake. With pakshak, just enter "AUTOPIA" into the coupon code, and you get a very significant discount.

I personally like the Pakshak towels best of any of the ones I have, based strictly on the feel. But, I think the autofiber towels are fine too and would not hesitate to do buisness with them again.

I like the Costco towels too, but they seem to do poorly in the wash. They stain really easy and get harder with each wash. So, I`ve started using this for tires, door jams, etc.

sgo
09-20-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by The Uncle

I just bought some pakshak towels myself (the ultra towels). I also have a slew of the microfiber towels you get at Costco, as well as some from autofiber.com. I was very happy with the price and service from both autofiber and pakshake. With pakshak, just enter "AUTOPIA" into the coupon code, and you get a very significant discount.

I like the Costco towels too, but they seem to do poorly in the wash. They stain really easy and get harder with each wash. So, I`ve started using this for tires, door jams, etc.

What are you washing them with?

I have several bundles of them and wash them all the time and I have yet to have a problem. I just got some Micro-Restore (haven`t used it yet), but I`ve been using Woolite in the washer with warm/cold and a vinegar rinse, (vinegar in the fabric softener slot) and dry them on the very-low setting in the dryer.

I also grab a bundle every time I go to Costco (now 16 for 10.59). At 66 cents a piece, how can you go wrong?

imported_The Uncle
09-20-2004, 02:17 PM
You can`t go wrong at .66 each. I buy a bundle each time I go to Costco as well. But, I don`t expect longevity out of them. They seem to get stained easily,and don`t ever get clean. They also don`t feel as sort or plush as the ones you get from Pakshak.

I usually use the COSTCO towels one or twice in standard detailing situations, but then relegate them to a backup role after a few washings I wash them with about a half of cup of tide.

sgo
09-20-2004, 03:16 PM

You can`t go wrong at .66 each. I buy a bundle each time I go to Costco as well. But, I don`t expect longevity out of them. They seem to get stained easily,and don`t ever get clean. They also don`t feel as sort or plush as the ones you get from Pakshak.

I usually use the COSTCO towels one or twice in standard detailing situations, but then relegate them to a backup role after a few washings I wash them with about a half of cup of tide.

I may try the Pakshak towels someday just to see what they`re like.

You might want to try my earlier suggestion for washing your towels. I`ve read where most laundry detergents have some bleach/whiteners in them even though they claim not to. A little bit of vinegar will help remove the soap while rinsing. The washing proces really does make a difference on the life of your towels.

imported_The Uncle
09-20-2004, 03:22 PM
MF towels can accumulate deposits from conventional detergents. That, however, has not been a bit of a problem with my AUTOFIBER towels. I use them fairly often, and throw them in the laundry every few weeks. They get clean, and come out soft each time.

The COSTCO towels just never get clean. And, there have been others here who report the same problem. Of course, they are inexpensive so it is not a big issue when the get relegated to non-critical tasks (I use some around my house for day-to-day cleaning).

But, I think the bottom line is that you get what you pay for. In terms of overall quality, the Costco towels do not compare to the Pakshak and Autofiber towels. Useful tools, but its worthwhile having a better quality towel around for some tasks.

That said, I agree with you that the COSTCO towels are a GREAT bargin, and I would definitely recommend buying a few packs to get started.

Bill D
09-20-2004, 03:27 PM

But, I think the bottom line is that you get what you pay for.

I couldn`t have said it better :xyxthumbs This is a detailing product I just will not skimp on. Too much room for opportunity for doing so coming back to bite me. That said, you could buy lesser quality mfs dedicated only to grimey jobs like door jams, insides of wheels, undercarriages, etc. Nothing but the best for the paint though!

////\oo/\\\\
09-21-2004, 07:21 PM

With pakshak, just enter "AUTOPIA" into the coupon code, and you get a very significant discount.Does this show up before the order? Or is it an after order discount?

imported_The Uncle
09-22-2004, 02:41 PM
They`ll apply the discount afterwards. Its pretty substantial.

E-mail them through the info link on the website, or PM PakShak and they`ll give you an exact quote first.

The prices, with the discount, are great.

////\oo/\\\\
09-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Did that, thanks uncle :xyxthumbs

infact I just placed my order for a whole bunch of stuff...

Another order to a UK supplier goes off tomorrow for a whole bunch of polishes and waxes etc. and then its time to detail, detail, detail!

Hmmm, ponders Porter Cable or UK equivalent...:eek:

JasonD
09-22-2004, 03:09 PM
Reading this thread just convinced me to buy some more plush mf towels. Up to this point, I`ve only use ww`s and one plush that didn`t do a great job at removing wax but I think I have figured out that ww`s can leave very faint buffing marks on the paint if used for the final steps of a detail. I just ordered some Ultra and Ultra Fine towels from Pakshak, and also some from Autofiber, along with a couple quarts of micro-restore. I hope I like them!