PDA

View Full Version : Let`s "clear" this up once and for all!

chillup
09-17-2004, 04:48 PM
Ok,

The debate about whether Lexus Black clearcoat has been going on for ages it seems.

Can we please get some people that know for sure to chime in?

What`s the deal with Lexus black and why is there so much misinformation? What years do not have the clear?

Jngrbrdman
09-19-2004, 08:07 PM
Call Lexus and find out. Asking for opinions isn`t necessarily going to answer the question. If people can`t agree, then you should go to the source. www.lexus.com is your friend. Find a local dealership or email Lexus directly.

GoodnClean
09-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Lexus has been contacted several times, the answer varies but usually its because they felt that the non-clearcoated black both looked richer and resisted showing swirls better.

You do have to give them that, Lexus black looks fantastic when its all shined up.

jmsc
09-19-2004, 08:15 PM
http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20519&highlight=lexus

jfelbab
09-19-2004, 08:54 PM
It doesn`t take a rocket scientist to figure out if your black Lexus is clear coated or not. Chances are if your car has any repaint on it you have a mix. Simply take some polish or cleaner/wax on a towel and rub it in an inconspicuous area and if the black transfers to the towel it is ss. Lexus began clear-coating the Black Onyx (paint code 202) in the 2000 model year. I know this because my 1999 GS was not and my 2000 LS was.