PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna Powergloss review (WOW!)

wifehatescar
10-26-2004, 08:33 PM
I have been looking for a strong abrasive for rotary use on badly swrled cars that is easy to use and works quick. I found my answer in PG (thanks GSRStilez for answering my questions about it)

I only have 1 pic and it`s bad quality but you get the idea. This was a BLACK AUDI, 2001 model S4. Left side is untouched, right side is:

PG/1400rpm/white POLISHING LC pad
FPII/1400rpm/black LC pad

*This pic is of the first panel I have EVER tried PG on!* Quick learning curve huh? It does haze the paint unless you work it forever, but this is fine as it cuts as much as you want. I have NEVER taken out this many swirls with one 3 minute pass of the rotary.

To give some perspective, I had been using SSR3 and 2.5 on the rotary for heavy cutting. I really think they break down too fast on the rotary and are better suited to the PC. I always had to make multiple passes, even with SSR3, to cut like PG does in one pass.

Cliffnotes: If you are confident with a rotary, you need PG in your arsenal for messed up paint repair.

NYV6Coupe
10-26-2004, 09:59 PM
steve: never used PG but I have used the other popular Menzerna products and have not been disappointed with any of them. Good to know PG is an aggressive compound but easy to use as you described. I read a similar description of results at CMA & will keep it in mind for those "trying to get a shine out of concrete" jobs.

From surface prep (IP & FPII) to sealant (FMJ), they deliver .... period.

mgm2003
10-27-2004, 06:02 AM
Be careful with PG and the rotary. It`s a very powerful compound!! I`ve broken through clear coat fairly quickly with it.

wifehatescar
10-27-2004, 08:44 AM
Duely noted....
What process/pads/speed/# of passes did you use?

mgm2003
10-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Duely noted....
What process/pads/speed/# of passes did you use?

Tape off the vehicle
I use a DW849
yellow cut pad (mist with QD)
Run @ 1300RPM.

I apply a cross pattern to the pad, 2-3 passes (overlap), wipe down and inspect results. Avoid the edges b/c you`ll cut into them quick.

wifehatescar
10-27-2004, 06:07 PM
No, I meant what were you doing when you burnt the paint??? :crazy :dunno

G35stilez
10-27-2004, 06:29 PM
Steve: Yup, knew you`d like it. I was extremely impressed with it`s power :)

After all, this is 2 passes with PG via rotary and cutting pad at 1900rpm.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v157/kappapsi497/DSC02648.jpg

SVR
10-29-2004, 03:18 AM
1900rpm - that`s awfully high. What speed is the best with PG. I`ve used it on old lead based single stage white paint with great results but have not yet worked on late model cars with a rotary( still training). I like doing my work by hand if possible. Doesn`t take that long

It`s 1000 grit, are there any cutters more abrasive than that, say 400-800

G35stilez
10-29-2004, 11:38 AM
SVR: Look at the finish I was working with though :). VERY VERY deep swirls. I will usually run it at 1500rpm with no problem.

All Menzerna products are meant to be used via rotary so if you decide otherwise it is usually a bit tougher.